Y&R actress out

• Members

This is terrible news. Mishael is... irreplaceable imo. Hilary is like an Erica Kane, a young Jill. She embodies the name Y&R. I don't know, I feel like this is a huge blow, to the future of the show.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew when she got the Emmy nod they were going to try and play her in contract negotiations. If she walks its their loss

And I'm with @Vee when it comes to Bryton. He's nothing without MM and even with her he still lacks a leading male presence, its why they still rely on Kristoff so much.

• Members

Again, true. I feel like we're going in circles, which is why I said it wasn't worth it in the first place on my original edit. All these things you say are absolutely true. And yet I still feel like it's an unequal situation in terms of the actors, not just the larger issues.

I think with the right writing and partner (like her) Bryton could shine, but I don't think he's nearly as charismatic or compelling a performer as Mishael Morgan. I simply don't. And I think sometimes that is not debated because even the question is a messy nuance that is only partially relevant to a larger, much more unjust issue with how Y&R has no real investment in diversity. But when we hear she will walk out the door I feel I had to say it. He's never been as interesting to me. And to see her go and not say it, I couldn't. Maybe I should've! But I'm done, because there's nothing else to say that doesn't devalue or marginalize every other valid issue you or ajsp have raised (and I did as well, for the record). And I don't want to do that, ever. I just wish this exit wasn't happening at all.

Dude, no.

• Members

+1

This idea that something lacking in Bryton is the reason that Hilary, as a character, was under the bus and written as a villain to the ENTIRE canvas using a glorified YT vlog seems irrational to me.  

From where I sit, Hilary was never under the bus for Devon. It was always someone else. Even when Hilary was the villain to Devon's pairing with Mariah that was FOR MARIAH. Bryton got absolutely no material out of that and Devon was hated by his own fanbase. He was the biggest loser in all that. 

• Members

I don't know, I guess I just don't get resenting an actor who was around 10 years before Mishael Morgan hit Y&Rs  sound stage because he's going to be around (we assume) if/after she leaves.  

I also don't get why when we hear Mishael was not given her due by Sony, we leap to "how dare Bryton remain after her" instead of castigating Sony for their shady business practices. 

• Members

I mean, we do it all the time around here with any number of actor combinations - compare, contrast and critique, especially in moments like these. That being said, in this case it's the larger situation that's to be most resented. My opinion of the individual actors' strengths or weaknesses is a drop in the bucket by comparison. I don't think he'll ever have a partner like that again, and that's a shame because they are great together.

It ain't and I'm not.

• Members

FWIW, I think Mishael's more charismatic than Bryton too. But then, I think she's more charismatic than everyone else on set. I think she's the most watchable person on the show. I'm a huge fan. If that's what you want me to admit, I readily do so. 

If she leaves, then the show has created another Neil/Dru situation. Like you, I don't think Bryton will ever get another screen partner he clicks with that well. Much like KSJ won't get another VR. They lucked upon Mishael Morgan, Hilary, and Hevon. Her/their rise was never intentional and we could tell from the writing. 

• Members

She’s just in another league as far as I’m concerned.  Just like Victoria Rowell

and Heather Tom were in another league compared to many of their scene partners over the years.  Doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy those pairings, but they made the extra sparks.

She’s been there 5 years, she’s driven and driving story, she’s a chemistry machine and she has received critical praise.  She deserves some consideration for all that come contract time.  Is they can’t make terms, then she should get herself ready and in meetings with Shonda because those Netflix shows are going to need talent.

Also- another undervalued female on daytime.  They are killing themselves.

Archived