TV Character's you felt were pointless/served no purpose

dragonflies

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He didn't really stay that long.

What I found so great about Malucci and his arc was that his uselessness and lack of purpose WAS his purpose. He was one of those people. I think that's brilliant writing. His exit storyline was also fantastic. Two thrilling episodes. 

• Members

Ralph Macchio as Jeremy on Eight Is Enough....Why ? They already had a bloated cast they needed to write for, why add another cast member ?

James Houghton and Kim Lankford as Kenny and Ginger Ward on Knots Landing. They had the most boring storylines and never really fit in with the rest of the characters.

Pamela Segal Adlon as Kelly on Facts Of Life.......why have a mini Jo ripoff ? George Clooney as George......his character didn't add anything.

Charlene Tilton  as Lucy Ewing on Dallas.........other than a few good episodes, her character never really added anything to the show. 

Buddy Ebsen as Uncle Roy Houston on Matt Houston......the writers were barely writing for Lee Horsley's co-star Pamela Hensley and they drug BE out of mothballs.

Danny Cooksey as Sam on Diff'rent Strokes......that kid just grated on my nerves.

Brian Forster and Suzanne Crough as Chris and Tracy Partridge on The Partridge Family......they just looked like zombies during musical numbers and barely had lines. 

Shelley Hack as Tiffany Wells on Charlie's Angels.......she was hired because of her Charlie perfume ads....they discovered she couldn't act and her character was unpopular. Tanya Roberts wasn't good either. Forget her characters name. 

• Members

The producers felt Jo had changed since coming to Eastland and becoming friends with "the girls," and they wanted to bring back that element of class conflict that Jo initially brought to the series.

Speaking of "Facts of Life," I would add Pippa to the list.  She REALLY brought nothing to the show.  And I think George Clooney might have been a good addition, had the intention been to bring on a permanent love interest either for Jo or Blair.  However, it seems like the show never wanted to go there.

I thought TR was fine on "Charlie's Angels."  She was certainly an improvement over Shelley Hack, lol.  But I wish the producers had played up the fact that she was a little more punk rock to the other girls' disco, if you know what I'm saying.  Punk and new wave were "in" by then, and I feel like incorporating that energy more might have helped the final season seem fresher.

• Members

I know what you are saying about TR on Charlie's Angels. The show was getting stale and to have added that contrast would have freshened it up a bit.  Jaclyn and Cheryl were over the show at that point and was waiting for it to all be over. 

I also agree about Pippa on Facts of Life . What was the point ?

The abortion story was good. I agree that she needed to be away from Kenny. It would have opened up more storyline for her. 

Thanks for reminding me. Yes TR was good on that 70's show. I had read that about her husband being terminal. 

• Members

I liked Ginger too. She had a lot of light about her. I always felt she was this beautiful girl who didn't truly know how beautiful and smart she actually was. Kenny was the hair model with the fragile ego who was perfectly happy for Ginger to not recognise her true talents as long as it meant she stayed with him as his appendage.

Archived