Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Same.

Wow.  Brad Kern.  It's a shocker -- and yet, it isn't.  I mean, if you ever watched an episode of "Charmed," you'd know there was some SERIOUS misogyny and objectification going on in the writing. 

I hope they take Ivana Trump's advice and get everything.

• Members

Kelly Cutrone, America's Next Top Model judge and fashion publicist, claims Russell Simmons tried to rape her in 1991.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kelly-cutrone-claims-russell-simmons-tried-rape-her-1991-1068106?facebook_20171214

Morgan Spurlock stepped down from his company.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/morgan-spurlock-is-leaving-his-own-production-company.html?utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=s1

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Unfortunately I thought it came across as naive, especially telling gay men that if they don't have a problem being touched in a bar or a club, they have no self-worth. It's not about self-worth - it's more complicated than that.

The other argument in it, that gay men are too sexual, is as old as the hills. While there is likely some truth to it, the author doesn't do a good enough job explaining the correlation between this and not caring about sexual abuse. 

Gay men aren't going to have the same type of reactions to these situations that you will have with a man and a woman. Shaming them for that instead of trying to talk about how the gay community should react (on their own unique terms) is a very bad idea.

• Members

The accusations against Hoffman are sickening. And I was reading the comments at AV Club - someone found what they say is Hoffman talking about losing his virginity. It's also sickening. It shows how many of these men are put into this place at such a young age and they go on to cause so much havoc.

I eagerly await pigs like Alec and Rapaport putting on their superhero capes again.

https://www.avclub.com/1821313509

• Members

I think you're right that this isn't one-size-fits-all and that the article is a bit too simplistic.

I have heard some very concerning dismissals of many of these women's claims from other gay men placed in these terms. You're right: the dynamics are different between two adult men than between men and women. I would hope that gay men would understand that and not shame these women. (Granted, a lot of people, including other women, are shaming these women. It just speaks to how uncomfortable this discussion is for our society.)

• Members

Sadly many gay men are misogynists and treat women like trash, and some are also aggressively sexual with women because they can say they didn't mean anything by it.

Gay men aren't women, there are different power dynamics in things like bar and club situations, so there will be different reactions. And sometimes of course men are inappropriately touched while out and that's wrong, which needs to be discussed.

The sexual abuse and the conditioning in the gay community that tells men they are only worth their bodies and should accept whatever is done to them (or whatever drugs they're offered, or reckless situations they're led into) should also be discussed.

I am glad you're having those conversations with people as I wouldn't know where to begin. 

I wish that the person who wrote the article had done a better job - it feels like a wasted opportunity.  

• Members

You know something? He creeped me out in that movie. I was fine with everyone else - Jessica Lange, Teri Garr, Dabney Coleman, Bill Murray, etc., but something seemed off about Dustin Hoffman. How about that scene where dressed as a woman, he is mauled by George Gaynes' character? 😨😨😨😨😨

Like Dolly Parton said in 9 to 5, it's time to turn all these roosters into hens!!! Now!!!

• Members

More Morgan Spurlock fallout. I wonder if he was simply preempting a planned exposé with his confession.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/morgan-spurlock-cut-upcoming-sundance-film-1068453

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/youtube-red-drops-morgan-spurlocks-super-size-me-sequel-1068442

Edited by Faulkner