Film Awards Thread

• Members

I wasn’t impressed with Marriage Story at all, but I thought the actors who played lawyers (Liotta, Alda, Dern) were all great. Dern was doing her Dern thing, but I thought she did well, the preachy screed about Jesus aside.

I always find it interesting how they determine what is an “Oscar movie” vs. “an Emmy-worthy made-for-TV movie” when both are primarily viewed on a streaming service. I know it’s pedigree (no way is Martin Scorsese letting Netflix submit “The Irishman” for Emmys), but it still feels a bit arbitrary, these distinctions, similar to how Netflix will put certain digital series up for Primetime vs. Daytime Emmys.

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Laura seems to be heading for one of the career Oscars - she's been acting in acclaimed films for 35 years now, always giving good performances, rarely forgetting her place in the Hollywood system. She also had a lot of buzz from Big Little Lies, which is the type of thing that would probably get Oscars if it wasn't a TV show. She's waited her turn, so unless, say, Florence Pugh continues to get more and more support, she's probably getting the gold.

• Administrator

Got all my "sure shots" and "good chance to get in" right except for 1!  There were no surprises for Best Picture.   I don't really have a rooting interest right now for Best Picture, but I think it could be cool to see a Korean movie win - imagine that huge upset!  I definitely have to watch Parasite before the Oscars. 

• Members

I thought Lady Bird was profoundly overrated, despite some great performances. Little Women OTOH shocked me by being my favorite film of last year. It was an epic achievement, particularly in terms of its structure and production design, and yes, I feel Gerwig was robbed.

• Members

Dern and Pitt have won the supporting trophies. And then Joaquin and Renée. Yet another rubber-stamp season, it appears...

They gave Kristoff St. John a nice speaking clip (with Nichelle Nichols on Y&R) in the In Memoriam segment. Can’t believe it’s almost been a year...

Edited by Faulkner

• Administrator

When that happened, I was like, "Alright.....it might have a great chance to win tonight."    First foreign film to win at the SAGs! Amazing!   So Best Picture is probably down to Parasite and 1917 (with its Producers Guild win).  If one of those movies win the Directors Guild, I think it would be a safe bet that it'll win Best Picture. 

I think the Best Actor and Best Actress are safe bets too, but I'm still not sure about the Supporting Categories.  If there is an upset I think it will happened in Supporting.