Film Awards Thread

• Administrator

I like the idea of movies from streaming companies having to spend a certain period of time (2 months maybe?) in the theatres, before moving them to their streaming platform, for it to be considered for the Oscars.  Also, what about moving the Oscars (and other awards) back a month?  It would give people more time to see more movies, especially those that are released just before the cut off date in December.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They’ve done exactly the opposite: in 2020, the Oscars are moving up two weeks to February 9. They felt that awards fatigue in that long march to the Oscars was partially responsible for the ratings decline. So now the precursor awards will all have to pack into January. The Grammys have moved back to January 26 to get out of the way.

And the BAFTA Film Awards will be held February 2, 2020, the same night as the damn Super Bowl!

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

She makes a valid point, although I must add that now that Netflix is doing a lot more producing of its own full-length features and "TV" shows, it seems to be giving less time and space to lesser known and unknown talent than it would have in the past. 

Netflix almost exclusively appears to be going after the big named talent nowadays.  I miss seeing little gems by unknown/little-known indie filmmakers from under-represented groups.

• Administrator

Really?  That's ridiculous.  How are people suppose to care about an awards show if they haven't seen those nominated movies?  I think that also plays a factor in ratings.   For me, I saw 4 out of the 8 Best Picture nominees, and 3 of them were in the last week before the Oscars. 

• Members

I think it’s tough, though. They lucked out this year with Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star Is Born. The types of films they usually nominate like The Shape of Water, The Hurt Locker, and Roma are just never going to be what a general audience is going to seek out, even if given more time.

• Administrator

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, that ratings also depends the type of movies that are nominated, movies that general audiences will go see.   Also, look at the release dates for those three big movies.  BP: February 16.  BR: November 2.  ASIB: October 5.   Lots of time for people to check out those movies. 

Oscars 2020: How Netflix Plans to Win Best Picture With Scorsese's Mob Drama

• Members

That's one of the reasons I'm not all rah rah Netflix. They have become so generic, and I also find much of their original content incredibly disturbing both oncamera and behind the scenes. 

There are still a few shows I enjoy, like One Day at a Time (and I'm starting to get into Bakeoff) but with prices increasing I feel like I'm near the end with them. 

• Members

I share an account so fortunately the cost is split.  They still have some very good documentaries like the one I saw about Sam Cooke last week and they have a few international comedies that are pretty entertaining, which you cannot find anywhere else.

Someone did make another good point though that it's impossible for anyone who doesn't have access to Netflix to access videos like The 13th at their local library, which I was able to do with many popular HBO and AMC series.  Although honestly, it likely the same way for Hulu and Amazon.

• Members

Film people on twitter are overreacting to the Spielberg's proposal. All he's asking for is that the Netflix movies appear in theaters for 4 weeks.  Disagreement is understandably, but it's overblown. 

I hate when people say "why don't you make better movies" because sometimes quality doesn't get people to the movie theaters.  I bet most of the people who watched Roma on Netflix wouldn't watch it in theaters.

I'm not as impressed by Netflix(or HBO) as others are just because it's easier for them to have freedom when they don't have to worry about things box office or ratings.  Despite that they make plenty of crap.  To be honest, I think one reason people support the streaming services is because it makes them seem cutting edge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

By the way, Steven Spielberg was onstage at the AppleTV event so that might put his anti-Netflix rhetoric into a bit of context, LOL.

We used to think of Steven Spielberg as a forerunner and an innovator, in many regards but he's totally following the reboot/revival trend with Amazing Stories.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

If anything from Joker gets major nominations I am not watching this year's ceremony. I am sick to death of this disgusting film and how much the director of it is manipulating people into seeing him as a victim and a martyr of "woke" society and how noble and precious he is for somehow conning comic book fans into seeing a "real movie."