Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm happy for Olivia,  she's deserved. I'm a bit sad for Glenn though given her losing steak and the fact that she IS one of the best actors period of her generation. Hopefully she gets something good in the coming years and has another shot - would hate for her to be given a token honourary Oscar a few years from now when she's at the end of her life/career...

Just glad Lady Gaga's campaign for a Best Actress Oscar faltered like hell...

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I know she’s been developing the Broadway show Sunset Boulevard as a film musical. Whether or not that turns out good remains to be seen. I’ve seen people compare this to Marion Cotillard beating Julie Christie, but Julie had her Oscar.

Wow. Octavia is an Oscar WINNER.

• Members

Green Book is the typical Best Picture of recent years - it makes Oscar voters feel like they're tackling a cause and also is a finger in the eye to more outspoken liberal voices. 

I thought Christian Bale might win so that was a little surprising, but I'm happy enough for Rami Malek. I saw that ACT-UP was upset he didn't mention the fight against AIDS, which I agree with, although some of the criticisms (like him saying Freddie was gay and not bi, or not saying enough about Freddie, etc.) just become formless. 

Apparently Rami fell off the stage after he won.

I had read that Olivia Colman was getting more and more steam, so I wasn't hugely shocked by her win. I felt so bad for Glenn Close, as this was probably her last chance, but Olivia had a very gracious and funny acceptance speech. 

Loved seeing John Mulaney, and Chris Evans looked cuddlier than ever.

• Members

This is such a nice photo:

Rami Malek, Olivia Colman, Regina King and Mahershala Ali

As someone who grew up watching 227 I will always think of that when I see Regina but I know she has done so much more. I'm just overjoyed for her. 

So apparently this is the first (and probably the last for a while) Oscars where a majority of the acting winners weren't white.

• Members

I like Rami Malek well enough but Bohemian Rhapsody was offensive rubbish so it winning anything was shameful.

Green Book is also atrocious. Driving Miss Daisy isn't exactly some masterpiece and it's definitely aged but at least it has a very good leading performance from Jessica Tandy and a script based off a Pulitzer Prize winning play. Green Book has....nothing. I like Mahershala Ali but that wasn't his finest hour and Richard E. Grant would have been a great winner.The Favourite, BlacKkKlansman, and especially Roma were robbed. At least it wasn't Bohemian Rhapsody

Olivia Colman winning was the best win in a long time. I think Marina De Tavira gave the best performance in supporting actress but I'm happy for Regina King. Glad Spike Lee finally won.