"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/opinions/roseanne-exposes-liberal-hypocrisy-richard-morgan-opinion/index.html

This is an interesting article. I didn't realize that shows like ODAAT and Blackish have such a small viewership. That's too bad because I really like ODAAT.

I would argue that Roseanne's appeal is class. We don't see blue collar families that often. Roseanne is also a little more gritty than a show like ODAAT.    Roseanne has never idealized parenthood like some shows do.

I agree that Roseanne herself is a little stiff.  I've been watching some of the season one episodes and I loved the way she would always laugh or smile with the other characters.  30 years is a long time though. I don't expect her to pick up where she dropped off.

• Members

Thankfully, but it was close.  I follow one of the writers (Mike Royce) on twitter and he said they had reason to worry it wouldn't be renewed.  I think those of us that like it are probably lucky that Netflix is trying to build an inventory and the show got a ton of positive press.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I agree that the fans likely helped with the Season 3 renewal. One of the problems emerging, IMO, with Netflix, is that they're doing a LOT of original content and some shows are getting lost in the shuffle, so to speak. It's like network television, where good shows sometimes don't always find the audience and get sort of 'missed'. The pool of shows is getting muddied.

But also with ODAAT, I can't find where I read this, but it wasn't actually that much of a delay with renewing it from when they renewed it for Season 2, I believe. But the writers and producers and cast were kinda clear on Twitter that it could be in danger.

It's a quality show.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

She's been vague but it's in many of her recent interviews.

Part of it is what she alludes to in some press, that her original exit was probably not 100% peaceful. This has been mentioned before in other accounts not from her: Supposedly she told them she wanted to go to college full time and supposedly Roseanne told her she was either in or out, and Lecy chose out. The other issue is that, from everything I've heard, Season 8 was sold to the cast as the final year, which is why Lecy chose to return. John Goodman was also ready to be done and by all accounts (including his own) was deep into his alcoholism at the time. That whole penultimate year sounds very messy and full of tension, especially with the Beckys switching off, Disney taking over ABC and forcing a Disney World episode, and so on.

Then Roseanne abruptly chose to do one more year, and Lecy left again and Goodman decided to do half the run. According to a report at the time, he tried to quit entirely but was convinced to do half the season - originally they feared he would only return for one episode to kill off Dan.

More on Glenn Quinn: 

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think the problem Roseanne is having is that she hasn't acted consistently on a sitcom and/or tv movies for many years.. and has gone back to doing stand up.  So I think she was working off some of the rust and adjusting to acting on a soundstage vs stand up.  I often think going between two different mediums can be an adjustment (I've noticed stage actors are usually very OTT when they act in sitcom/dramas.. but eventually settle down the longer they are acting).

With that said, I noticed in this latest episode she was yelling a little less and was getting back into the swing of things.  With that said, even in the 1st episode of the reboot.. she's a lot less stiff then she was doing the 2 episode guest stint she did on Cristela a few years ago.