Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Giving her the whole house gives Alexis too much power, imo, but hey, I guess you can't tell the exact same story twice. :/ Having Alexis just be deeded the studio, she was more of an interloper, a spider slowly weaving her web.  Nicolette presents as post Cecil even.  Audiences have no patience these days and if they want to ride off of the nostalgia quotient or anything a twentysomething would know about Dynasty, they've got to skip to magazine cover Joan Collins ColbyCo era Alexis.

• Members

Watching old Alexis clips, you see how skilled an actress Joan is. The writing in season 2 - 4 was good and she amped it up. 

Yes, I'm sure you're right and that the writers of this version probably think of Colby Co era Alexis, late 1980s Joan with the coiffed Nancy Regan hair, and that's what they know of her, full diva, so that's what they're writing. And that's a shame, because they're writing the character based on the worst writing for her, rather than the sinister writing of season 2 - 4. 

• Members

And I don't like that Fallon and Alexis will be getting into a catfight... obviously the new writers don't know what 'anticipation' is because back in the original.. there was a build up before Alexis and Krystle had a cat fight.. using once a season and it came out of left field.

I actually liked in the original that Alexis lived in Artist cottage on the property in the second season.. and she was more subtle (like a spider making her web) and less over the top.  She also had a warm maternal side that she displayed with Stephen and on occasion Fallon.  

I'll be curious to see how N. Sheridan will play this Alexis.. because she can be icy and cold with a hint of emotion.  If anything, she should be channeling Paige Matheson and not Edie Brit in order to play this version of Alexis.

• Members

I have watched the entirety of 'Enter Alexis' and can make the following comments:

They've written Alexis differently and in some ways, they've gone opposite to Joan's portrayal. Joan's Alexis was menacing and a confidence assassin. Vicious but charming. This Alexis is down on her luck and faking her power. They're playing to Sheridan's strengths with this Alexis being more flirtatious and sympathetic and outwardly comedic. It's more Edie Britt than Paige Matheson and nothing like Joan's Alexis. But I enjoy Sheridan as an actress and she brings a lot of energy to this show which is desperately needed. 

The way they shoot this show takes a lot of the wind out of the dramatic sails of the show. The Alexis line they reused about Fallon having her teeth fixed, if not her tongue, was a bit of a throwaway given how quickly they moved onto the next line. And they've done a lot in this episode - buildup or anticipation, lots of action. That's the CW for you.

The strangest element of Alexis' return to the series is to see Cristal not being the active rival for Alexis and for Cristal to make a comment against Blake and for Anders to be an ally for Alexis. 

• Members

Given the current atmosphere in the world..Alexis had to be written differently.  I like that Alexis' dad had the land and sold it to the Carrington except for the stable hpuse..ehich Alexis will reside in.

I see a combo of Paige and Edie in this shoe from NS.  Plus, having Alexis down on her luck will make it all the more awesome to see her claw her way to the top.

I have a feeling Cristal vs Alexis will come later in the season.  What is interesting is that in this version..cristal is more a viper and Alexis has a legitimate vendetta against Blake and now Fallon. 

• Members

I always thought that Alexis was too wealthy and didn't really have to claw her way to the top... she had a pretty good head start.

In this version, Alexis has hit hard times.. and based on how Fallon and Blake have treated her.. it will be oh so satisfying to see her claw her way to the top.  I actually will probably root for her more becaue she's now a Have not then either Fallon/Krystle/Blake.. who are now wealthy.

• Members

Alexis really didn't have money when she came to original Dynasty on season 2 - she had Blake's alimony (which she was set to lose if she set foot in Denver again), but that was it. It gave her money to spend on pool boys in Alcapulco, but she had no company, no real assets, nothing. This Alexis has spent the money she got from Blake over the past 11 years.

• Members

They sure jammed a lot of stuff in the full episode of Alexis. I like that they didn't try to replicate the original Alexis. While NS seemed a bit off at the beginning, she was clearly starting to get her groove as the episode progressed. They're also making a good choice in shifting the rivalry to Alexis-Fallon. EG/NS certainly will be entertaining.

I also liked that Alexis really does own Carrington Manor, but Fallon paid off the anesthesiologist to alter the times - and told Alexis to her face! While this Dynasty has it's flaws - it certainly has a lot of energy and is never boring. Like the original, I fully expect at least one or two characters to be recast - most likely one of the Colby kids.