DAYS: 2 weeks of preemptions for 2016 Summer Olympics

• Members

So just in time for the new regime and exits to take place next year? ;) Kidding ... kidding (sort of)

They should have a week of actual cliffhangers, for like Toups said, just in case they are pre-empted, that way they can still deliver and we're not left with a moron staring off into space as we cut to black.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it would be an interesting experiment if NBC went ahead and aired those two weeks' worth of episodes online a la CBS.  They could make the episodes available one day at a time, and compare daily to marathon viewing to analyze the viewing habits of their audience in this cyber age.  The episodes would then air regularly after the Olympics, no numbers lost to the habitual viewers who have their sets set to NBC at 1pm (or whenever) anyway.  I think online viewing numbers are very telling, i.e., how hungry is your audience to keep up with your show, and how are your ratings more reflective of passive, habitual viewership.

If this idea is too ambitious (issues with sponsors, what have you), they could always toy with the idea of special online episodes like ABC did a few years ago.

• Members

Isn't DAYS current renewal end in September 2016?  My worry was NBC would just decide to cut their losses and cancel the show prior to the Olympics beginning.  Also, since DAYS shoots so far ahead they will be shooting August in like February so they need to know soon if they are cancelled unless NBC really just doesn't give a crap and the show doesn't have time to wrap anything up.

• Members

are we certain that is correct? I know there has been debate about if sept 2016 is the end of the filming or airing contract.. Typical broadcast schedules would suggest theis would be the End of the airing contract as sept is the beginnings a new tv season (note examples of guiding light, as the world turns, and all mc children all ending in September )

• Members

Good to know. I was under the impression that the September 2016 end date was for air date. If they're cancelled, we'll still get one more Christmas in Salem... and New Years... and MLK Day... and Valentine's Day... and maybe March Madness... and...?

And then again, maybe not? At least it's promising that they're planning a two-week Olympics break, with the intention of returning.

• Members

The internal Sony emails that were leaked have a thing called the Weekly Production Schedule, which lists the contract status of all the Sony shows. On each of the weekly schedules, it states Days is contracted to tape through 9/16, and air through 3/17. So, there's a chance that could be correct, or a chance that whoever types up the weekly production schedules for Sony put the wrong data in. 

• Webmaster

Not sure why there is confusion. The contract to AIR "Days of our Lives" is through September 2016. They'll finish taping in April 2016 should NBC opt to cancel the soap in January 2016.

I'd go with the latter.

• Members

Here's what Sony's production status reports from 2014 state:

SONY PICTURES TELEVISION

Weekly Production Status Report

Updated for 10/22/14

SERIES

DAYS OF OUR LIVES – 1 hr. daytime drama. NBC, Burbank.

Executive Producers: Ken Corday. Co-EPs: Lisa De Cazotte & Greg Meng.

49th season. Picked-up thru season 51 shooting thru 9/2016 and airing thru 3/2017.

YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS - 1 hr. daytime drama. CBS, CBS TV City.

Exec. Producer: Jill Farren Phelps. Supervising Producers: John Fisher, Tony Morina.

41st season. Picked up thru season 44 shooting thru 7/2017 and airing thru 9/2017.

• Webmaster

I'll look into it. Although it would be odd that they would finish filming in September 2016 and last air in March 2017. Not your typical contract, especially with no time in season for the network to adequately launch a replacement should one be required.

Archived