The SON baby

Juliajms

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the well wishes. True to his name, the SON Baby brought drama closer with his birth. This is the long version of the story. We started the induction at 8 am on April 9th. Everything was going well. I had a nice nurse who sat with me through the whole thing. They asked me if I would allow a nursing student in the room, I agreed. They started the pitocin to begin contractions. They upped the dose slowly and I started having contractions. By noon I was in a fair amount of pain and involuntary shaking, but only 4 centimeters dilated. The nursing student coordinator came in and said it was time for the first student to leave and asked if I would let one in from the next shift. I said I was in too much pain to deal with anyone else in the room right now, but maybe after my epidural.

So I asked for an epidural at that point. The anesthesiologist did an amazing job. The procedure was nearly painless and the pain from the contractions was completely gone. They asked again if I would accept a student into the room and I agreed. I was feeling much better and pretty hopeful that I could get through a long labor. Little did I know that my contractions were making the babies heart rate decelerate. I'm not sure why the nurse didn't tell me. I guess she just didn't want to scare me.

Around 3pm the situation started to get more serious. The charge nurse came in and started asking questions. It became clear that there was a problem. they turned off the pitocin to see if that was the problem. 45 mins later they turned it back on and problems started again, but the nurse didn't think that was the issue because she had only put it on a very low does and she didn't think it had time to take effect.

The nurse thought that if things didn't improve I should get on my hands and knees and see if that would help the heart rate. The baby's heart rate then dipped again going from 130's to 80's to 50's, so she told me to get into position. It was a little doubtful that I could because of the epidural, but I luckily did have feeling in my legs and was able to get into position very quickly. Things improved immediately. My doctor had called and was going to get there as soon as she could, but she had one more appointment and things had stabilized. We all stared at the heart rate monitor for over an hour.

The doctor called and wanted one of the nurses to check me, so I needed to get on my back. I was pretty distraught at this point and started crying because I was afraid of what would happen if I changed position. The nurse pretty much told me I had to do it, so I did. They had me try a side position, but again the baby's heart rate went down, until I got back in the hands and knees position. The doctor was on her way, but the we actually had a snow squall if you can believe that and traffic was backed up. I told the nurse I wanted a C-section and she said not to be too hasty and wait to see what the doctor thought.

The doctor got there and didn't trust the nurses assessment of my progress, so she wanted to check me again. She said I was not as dilated and effaced as the nurse had hoped. Although the baby was stable at this point she thought I should go for the c section, since it could take many hours and it wasn't clear the baby could tolerate labor. I agreed and they started to prep me. Then things really took a turn for the worse. The baby's heart beat went from the 130's to the 50's twice. The third time it stayed low. The doctor was typing orders into the computer and the charge nurse said "we need to move now"! Before I knew it I was surrounded by people and being rushed down the hall (still on my hands and knees) ER style. It was pretty crazy, especially because things weren't moving as seamlessly as they do on TV. One of the nurses actually yelled at my doctor to get moving as they were running down the hall with me.

They wheeled me into the OR. I had the same anesthesiologist as before. My nurse had told me earlier he was a hard ass, but he was pretty nice to me. I asked him if the baby had a heart beat and he said yes and pointed out the monitor and asked if I could see it. It was back to 130. He told my doctor that they should give the meds a minute to work, since the heartbeat was up, but my OB said "we don't know if we have a minute". She did wait though. Then they started and all I could feel was some tugging. It turns out the cord was around his neck and that's what caused the issue. I heard them say "he's wedged in there tight", but they got him and he cried right away with an Apgar score of 8. 7 pounds 11 ounces, 20 inches long.

All's well that ends well, I suppose. I'll post a picture in a day or two, I just need to settle in a bit at home first.

• Members

Congratulations Julia! I'm so sorry it was so difficult for you. When my sister gave birth a few years back, the umbilical cord was wrapped around my nephews neck and caused some similar issues. I know how scary that was, and I'm so sorry you had to experience it!

• Members

Julia, I am so happy for you and your baby but I am sorry you had an unhappy and stressful labor. I guess the best would be sitcom style stress and whatnot leading to the big moment, and I hate the fact yours wasn't like that and you were crying.

Thankfully all that is over and you have a little GH fan to take care of! Post when you can,

Archived