Y&R: A Winters family reunion

• Members

I can't imagine anyone else playing Dru and it being successful. Take the time to build a new character up instead. But I am not that big a fan of recasting an extremely popular role.

Sometimes it's talent and charisma, like Rowell has so much of, especially as Dru. Sometimes it's mostly charisma. Like Hope, on Days. I can't imagine anyone else being a successful Hope but Alfonso. She just brings something special to the part.

What kind of story or impact can he have in two days?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I REALLY want to see at least one Kent King episode. She just seems so young and completely different from what you would expect for Dru. Maybe they didn't want to worry fans and wanted to make it clear it was just a temp thing lol.

• Members

Chances are, if they were to recast Dru today, it would be with someone so milquetoast -- and Dru, in turn, would be written without any personal grit to the point that the new girl would essentially be portraying an altogether new and different character who just happens to share Dru's name and history.

• Members

Recasts are all different. So of course, this new Dru will be different. Tbat shoukdnt be a problem. Isn't that the same thing we were ALL saying here about DT's portrayal of Billy. Were we not mocking the stans who were expecting DT to be BM. How is this any different? How is a recast Dru any different? Are we rxpecting some actress to be Victoria Rowell. Take a long look in the mirror folks. You are exactly what you ridiculed. And its just as silly as any Muhney or Miller Stan.

• Members

David Tom wasn't that different from Billy Miller. Trying to create a big divide between the two is what was silly. And of course any recast will be different, but certain roles IMO are just not recastable. Certain actors are too specific and iconic to replace. I wouldn't recast Stephanie or Brooke on B&B and I wouldn't recast Victor, Nikki, Dru or Katherine on Y &R at this point. I don't think another actress would get the nuances of what made Dru special.

• Members

DT was NOTHING like BM. One could act and the other as a ham.

Every Muhney Stan feels exactly how you do. He us iconic yo them just as those you listed are iconic to you. While I may agree with your list, I won't pretend my opinion on the matter is more valid than their's.

• Members

A recast Dru would just become one more neverending battle between fans a la Kahlil vs. Sherwood. There would be people who would never accept her and there would be people who liked her and resent the constant comparison with VR. Given Y&R's ratings bleed, they may be hitting the point where drastic times call for drastic measures but I find it hard to see a recast Dru becoming anything other than a moderate success at best and an utter disaster at worst.

I know that technically any role can be recast but people need to be clear on what makes a successful recast. It would take a very good actress, amazing writing and a longterm investment in the change for a recast Dru to work especially since she's been gone from the canvas for so long. Is Y&R capable of any of that right now?

• Members

A Muhney stan who felt that way would be delusional, I feel the same for Billy Miller stans, and I do quite like him. The reason certain people are iconic goes beyond just acting, but the impact they had on the show. Michael Muhney and Billy Miller appearing for a few years while the show hits record low after record low ain't shyt. These people get hyped up by the soap press and in many cases aren't even great actors, just the new flavor of the month or the person who gives the most access or most exclusives or who is the cutest. People like Eric Braeden, Victoria Rowell, Melody Thomas Scott or Shemar Moore came to Y&R and dominated. They brought huge ratings, international appeal and in the case of someone like Victoria Rowell, she brought a huge audience with her and was the face for Y&R among black viewers.

If you're going to replace that type of actor you need somebody with potential to be equally as iconic or you need to move on. You don't see Bill Bell recasting Lorie Brooks. He felt so confidently that she was so special that he even wrote her entire family out once she decided to go. A good writer doesn't need to recast every role. Sometimes a good exit is all you need and then you can develop new characters and hope they can be just as strong.

• Members

The fact that she has been gone for so long should make its easier.

Every black woman that sets foot on the stage in that studio is compared to Dru by fans. So that's no different than what is already happening.

A recast Dru would be coming onto the show at a terrible time where writing us at its worst. However, having original actors KSJ, TLW, CK, and BJ as supporting helps the transition.

• Members

It's not the same. Like I said people can think someone like Michael Muhney is iconic and not replaceable, but you can't back that up with fact. On the other hand, you can look and see the impact that someone like Susan Lucci, Victoria Rowell, , Jeanne Cooper, Eric Braeden or Susan Flannery had on their respective shows.

• Members

I'm not sure that's true. Dru's been gone so long that she's taken on this sort of mythical status.

I think that recasts in general work best when done within a year or two when there's still an organic way to tie them into story. After a long absence like Dru's, you're not only dealing with the canvas having changed a lot but you're up against some hard core nostalgia. I'm just picturing the "Dru's back!" PR blitz with a different actress. IMO, that's got fail written all over it.

Archived