TYRANT-- FX NETWORK

rhinohide

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's sort of interesting and I'll continue watching, but I think it's a little bit of a cop out to have the wife and mother of this character be white. Actually, it's a cop out in like five different ways. Although it's nice to see Jennifer Farrin again. The idea that his wife is pushing him to go to this place is ridiculous. She should be terrified.

I also wish they had picked better actors to play the children, especially the girl. She brings nothing to the table. Still, this is an interesting part of the world and it's nice to see a show exploring it, so I'm in.

• Members

I like the show thus far. I like that Bassam and Jamal aren't Cain v. Abel, but really Cain v. Cain. Jamal is more overtly evil while Bassam's (or Barry) evil side is slowly reemerging. But the story that is really catching my attention is Sammy's pending romance. Though Barry has been westernized, I see him converting back to his Islamic ways and not endorsing Sammy being gay. This (IMO) is the arc to watch. I see this ending in tragedy because I know that Muslims do not favor homosexuality to the point that they will murder those who are gay.

• Members

I'm with Juliajms, the kids are the weakest and I will add Jen Fin there too. I adore her but cannot stand Molly.

I wanted to watch for the gorgeous Moran Atias and I do so love her character.

The first episode was really hard to watch but I absolutely love the actor that plays Jamal and I was cracking up when he asked Leila if she was enjoying it. He's still a vile character.

• Members

Also watching...glad we have the same tastes in shows rhinohide! I love the intrigue and the relationships. Jamal is evil but I don't understand why all the critics are so annoyed by his actions. He's clearly damaged goods and that's putting it lightly. Not to mention FX practically blares out during every break how graphic the show is.

The gay son is the only interesting kid so far and only because I"m curious what direction they're gonna go with his relationship with the bodyguard. The whole "forbidden" aspect of it is interesting to me.

• Members

Lol....I mean I doubt he made that connection but it is a very interesting yet disturbing possibility down the road.....

Overall a good episode. I didn't like how the daughter of Bassam's friend (I really like he's native name) spit in his face. I also like how Bassam confronted Jamal and what it lead to. The previews for next week look very thrilling as it seems like Barry's decision will backfire.

Not much focus on Molly or the kids aside from that throwaway scene on the son

• Members

I'm sure you're right. Bassam probably doesn't think Jamal would do anything to hurt his family. My guess is that Jamal took the virginity of his son's bride because he resents that his wife didn't have hers on their wedding night, but he doesn't know Bassam is the one who had sex with her. Once he does there will be hell to pay.

I wonder who the Tyrant in the title is supposed to be. Is it Bassam or Jamal? I suspect this is the story of how Bassam rises to be the dictator, but we'll see.

• Members

I watched the first two episodes of this show. It's okay, nothing great. Interesting that in 2014 they didn't not cast an arab actor in the lead. Anyway, this is another show that would have benefited from being on HBO to show the graphic brutality more realistically. As a show, I guess it is a soap opera about a family and the mother is Miss Ellie and Barry is Bobbie, or something. The sister-in-law (who barely looks older than her daughter-in-law) appears to be a Lady Macbeth type. I guess the son will eventually be gay and that will cause a scandal in that country. At least he and the security great grandson, whatever his name is, seem to constantly be eying each other and looking for alone time. The son is a naive innocent idiot of course who will probably have his eyes opened before long, or maybe his selfish ways will lead him to become one of the evil relatives.

I guess for the summer it is fine,.

• Members

We are on the same page Q. The son is gay for sure and open about it at least with his sister. She's warned him to be careful. Not sure if the parents know, if they do they are fools to bring him there.

I wish they had cast Oded Fehr as one of the leads. He's Israeli, not sure if he is Jewish or Arabic, but he was great in Sleeper Cell. At the same time, it's hard to imagine him playing someone as foolish as Barry seems to be. It would be a lot easier to root for this guy if he were a little smarter and a little harder. Maybe that's coming.

• Members

The daughter is probably the most relatable on the show. The scene between her and the mom was pretty touching.

Sammi's obliviousness to the situation with the bodyguard is quite dumbfounding. Jamal's son is just as damaged as Jamal and I can see him doing something terrible to his new bride.

And least Molly was featured a little more.

• Members

The problem I have with this show is that it isn't smart enough. It expects it's audience to think upper class, educated Sammy doesn't know a country like this would be incredibly dangerous for gay people. It expects me to believe that a doctor (Molly) is so uninformed as to think the population of a dictatorship is allowed free access to media. To believe that such an educated woman would think coming to this hellhole is a plan for her children, one of whom is gay.

It would have been very easy to tell this story, while respecting the audiences intelligence. For example, make Barry the victim of discrimination after 9/11. He wants to go back to his homeland because he's used to being respected/feared and wants that back. Make his wife a more simple creature who was taken with the idea of being "royalty". IDK, it's not my job to write the story, but TPTB should have had a better set up here.

• Members

It's plenty graphic to me. I don't need to see more brutality on HBO.

I am getting more into the show as it goes on and the characters become better developed. I'm slightly annoyed that Barry is apparently always going to do the right thing. I really don't like those holier than though characters. Jamal is more interesting to me because he is so vile, but I'm finding him more sympathetic as the show continues. I really cannot stand any of the younger characters.

Archived