Advocate.com: Op-ed: Why Days of Our Lives' Will & Sonny Might Be the Most Important Couple on TV

• Members
I wasn't saying they SHOULD have those stereotypes. I'm just saying they don't. In fact, there's very few defining characteristics about them.

They're safe. I get it. Gladys Q. Viewer, the faithful 57-year-old homemaker from Tulsa, OK and a stalwart DAYS viewer could never identify who's the top and who's the bottom re: WilSon. They are Ken dolls with no genitalia.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What you say in the last two sentences of this post is exactly why I was against Will/Sonny as a couple from the get-go. They would generate no dramatic interest or excitement because they were/are too much alike. Too bad the show didn't want to give CHILL (Will and Chad) or even CHANNY (Sonny and Chad) a shot, because at least that would've given either potential couple that personality clash: The good boy and the bad boy.

• Members

I was so looking forwards to a Chad/sonny combo. There was such an appeal to the idea of a Romeo and Romeo storyline with the Kiriakis and the DiMera being enemy families and a common quest to put an end to the whole family feud. But apparently middle america wasnt ready for a character being bi and thats sad cuz I think it could have opened worlds of possibilities for Chad and sonny as well.

• Members

Um, no. WilSon is already Tom/Alice - completely neutered. Let's compare to other couples/individuals in their age group - they would be going out, partying, hooking up, getting wasted, experimenting and enjoying life. Instead, it's this boring angst. As far as importance on TV, I prefer sexually fluid characters like Sara on Arrow - the make no biggie that she has a strong romantic history/connection to another woman, while concurrently having strong feelings for Oliver. It's not shoved in our faces, but that flowing between people is far more intriguing to watch.

• Members

But isn't that the eternal dilemma with minority characters? When you only get one on the canvas then they have to be perfect because they have to be all things to all people. They aren't allowed to be flawed or evil or have much in the way of layers because you'll get members of that group who will complain that it's a bad representation of the entire group. I see that with black characters all the time. It's the tyranny of tokenism.

• Members

And most young couples on soaps don't go out and get wasted, party (or it's very lame if they do) and it's usually someone ending up pregnant. It's very formulaic for any couple, not just gay couples.

I know it's not the most exciting and they are boring, but couples like that do exist too. I also think they know the audience will flip if they even bother to bring in an interloper. So hence why they are married and boring.

• Members

I think Guy and Freddie have more chemistry than Chandler and Freddie ever did. At least I buy them more as a couple now. Chandler looked beyond uncomfortable. Guy and Freddie seem very comfortable together. So at least they have that, IMO of course.

I think Chad and Chandler's Will had far more chemistry than Sonny and Chad did.

Archived