• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks!

So this:

"Where are the Latinos?

Though it’s an exciting, juicy, melodramatic show, Empire does the Latino community a huge disservice by positioning the entire hip-hop business as black and white — literally. In the pilot episode, when Lucious announces the upcoming IPO, he looks upon a conference room filled with black executives, with only two or three white businessmen in the group. The same is true of the A&R executives over which Anika (played by Grace Gealey) presides in the “False Imposition” episode. There are plenty of Latino publicists, managers, agents, lawyers, and executives within every record label, so why don't we see any on the show? Not a single one? C’mon now! To ignore the Latino community in a series centered on hip-hop music is to perpetuate the myth that, somehow, we weren’t involved in the birth and evolution of this genre, which is not only offensive, but also inaccurate."

*side eye* Whose to say that none of the black or white faces sitting around that table aren't Latino? *side eye*

Either way, this show is about a family that is "black, not Latino" (as far as I can tell). So of course, the principal players will be "black, not latino". They can cast supporting players with Latinos (by that I mean those with the right look implied by this article), but the major players are the Lyons.

I guess I am shocked that one marginalized group is offended because they don't have a major presence in a TV show about another marginalized group!

ETA: And I am not the only one as the Afro-Latinos are having a field day in the comments! O_O

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

Why not? How do we know Chaiken's pacing challenges this season were due to a short season or she's just an idiot? How do we know she won't face the same problems in S2 with more eppies? She would just have more eppies to pack the action with no story build.

Where's the nonsensical part?

• Members
LOL at that article snippet. She needs to direct that letter to the a White execs of Hollywood and try to see about getting programs with Latino/Hispanic cast members on major broadcast and cable networks instead of criticizing another group of people who have less representation on television than they do.

• Members

I'm not feeling Cookie with Malcolm either bc of the lack of buildup. Also because I consider whatever happened between them last week to be merely comic relief. "Take these cookies" was just...ugh. I prefer to live in the present.

I'd like to see her with a new man. I'm sure some will say that she should be single because strong female characters don't need no man, but it's a soap, and she's mad sexy. Having her cuddle with a bottle of vodka is not an option. Also, I'd prefer it be someone her own age. After being locked up for 17 years, I think she'd have a hard time connecting with someone younger. Plus, coming for Camila would seem pretty hypocritical.

• Members

The nonsensical part is you putting everything good about this embarassment of riches on this show solely on the two creators who, while excellent, are always not there day to day, and blaming anything you don't like on the woman who is there everyday, runs the ship and writes a great deal of the show just because you didn't like her old show. Credit them all or don't credit anyone, you silly goose. It's a triangle of leadership. You can't pick and mix! Especially not blindfolded.

Edited by Vee

• Members

You're welcome to formulate your thoughts and actually tell us why you think the show will lose all its momentum just because Oprah might appear on it if you want to, as opposed to showing up just to hit and run or tell us you think the guys are hot.