Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh, so now it's about Jamal not believing him? So, what's the issue? I'm confused, cos y'all keep flip-flopping on exactly what Jamal did that was SO wrong and evil and naughty.

People are "excusing" Jamal's actions (except for a noted few) because he was more than justified, even though they also wish it hadn't been something so sad and ugly.

Then again, two men fighting? Done everywhere, on every show and movie. Two brothers fighting? Done everywhere. Two brothers betraying or not believing each other? Done everywhere. And yet--YET--it's all Jamal's fault. Got it. wink.png

After all, Hakeem is the paragon of responsibility and reliability, right? When he's not publicly urinating all over restaurants or calling his mother a bitch or cheating on his girlfriend, he cures cancer and saves puppies. Jamal should totally just know that Hakeem's friends, who are hanging out at his video shoot, just happened to come rob him? Makes sense, boo boos!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Welcome Particular!

So here's where I fall on this...Jamal believed Hakeem sent the guys. As of right now, he had no reason not to assume that. The thing with Hakeem is, he's a spoiled mouthy brat. He needs someone to put him in his place. His older brother, although for the wrong reason, did just that. If Jamal hadn't done it, someone needed to..That boy needs a realty check!

• Members

What that got to do what Jamal think that Hakeem did. Did Hakeem ever showed that side to Jamal before. If Hakeem did I sure we would have gotten flashback..

2nd Jamal is an employee of Empire. He doesn't want anything to do with Empire but he still going to get paid from his father. Why not use their resources.

Edited by MoTheGreat

• Members
It was a common misunderstanding type plot. But that Hakeem didn't do anything wrong means that Jamal wasn't justified. One would get why he did what he did but he is wrong here. Of course people will sympathize and/or side with Hakeem. It's written that way. Lol. Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I don't think Lucious proposed to Anika solely because he wanted to blackmail her father. But.....as a true multi-faceted bad-ass character, he was absolutely aware that having the daughter of a prominent doctor in his family circle could benefit him considering his condition. In true soapy fashion I think it will be clear that Lucious will be in love with Cookie but will still marry Anika.

• Members

A new HuffPo column, while written from a black POV, mirrors some of my distaste for some, not all, of the critical reactions to the show in spite of its success. But I think it goes bigger than that, because my beef is with regular pop cult crit sites, full of writers going after it for being too gauche and trying to score points for being evolved. The Atlantic's team of hipster white dudes ranting about the show particularly annoy my white-ass self, and the AV Club doesn't get it and is afraid of it. What they do know is that they would feel uncomfortable supporting it for fear of what other people would say about them. If that makes sense? This has been Awkward Race Talk with your friend fellow poster, Vee.

Edited by Vee