AMA 2013 Mini Rant

Wales2004

• Members

Anytime I come across anything to do with these awards I am basically the person who starts to speak and no words come out. I didn't watch the show but saw a clip of Rihanna's performance and the only other thing I've read about her is someone's fascination with her hair wrap. Then there's a debate over whether Katy Perry's performance was racist.

I'm just stuck on some of the actual winners. Too bad Taylor Swift didn't have a song that could have been "stretch" classified as R&B/Soul so she could have swept that category as well. And too bad Justin Timberlake didn't pull out a geeeee-tar for one of his songs so he could have swept the Country category. It's amazing how they only have room for three nominees for the majority of their categories except for two or so where they load them up with about five. One Direction should be glad that Justin Timberlake and Taylor Swift didn't team up on a few songs to claim the duo/group category.

They should just turn this farce into a strictly performance show or pick a single annual honoree to mix in with the performances. Tayjor Swift's brand of Country is strictly Pop. They blatantly robbecd the Country and giveth it to the Pop who probably did not deserve it over either Pink or Rihanna but whatever!!

I'm no rap music head (well maybe some of the "borrowed" music part but definitely not the lyrics), but Macklemore & Ryan Lewis nominated in the Pop duo/group category swept the rap categories. That's got to be where the insanity began.

Did they poll the same group of 13 year old girls (non Beiber fans) for all of the categories? And did said girls just go "eenie meenie" for the ones with which they were unfamiliar? They should change the name of the show to the Teen Girls' Music Awards or something that most closely represents whichever members of the public voting.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apparently they nominate acts based on sales and airplay within a year period. There really is little (if any) difference between this award show and the Billboard Music Awards (which everyone already knows the winners if they follow aforementioned chart). The more commercial you are for these awards, the more likely you are to win I guess. Justin and Taylor swept this year because they had the most hits, and sold the most albums I guess.

• Members

These awards are more along the lines of the People's Choice Awards and the problem seems to be both with the categories and whoever they have voting. Justin Timberlake and Robin Thicke should have both been placed in only one category: pop or R&B but not both. Since the category is based on their respective albums and it's unlikely that there was some 50/50 genre split down the middle in terms of the individual tracks, the predominant genre should have prevailed. I haven't listened to Robin Thicke's latest album but his previous work has been primarily R&B. Justin Timberlake's latest is primarily R&B as well so he should not have been in the pop category but if they had to put him there then he should have been removed from the R&B category. One or the other is not that complicated to achieve.

Macklemore should not have been in the pop category at all. He was correctly placed in the rap category. I just don't buy that his album or he as a performer is the favored rap artitst over L'il Wayne, JayZ, and Kendrick Lamar. If it were for the single, it would make sense. Clearly they polled the wrong members of the public or group of music buyers to obtain that result. Then again the Grammys did give Fresh Prince a Best Rap Performance award over LL, Kool Moe Dee, Salt 'N Pepa, and J.J. Fad.....

And I've said enough about that Taylor Swift nonsense.

Archived