DAYS Becoming More Diverse?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I struggle with is the idea that they are casting a odd net for this character. Why not be specific in terms of ethnicity? Or at least be like Shonda Rhimes and say, "We're casting for this character, but we'll look at anyone, regardless of racial and ethnic background"?

• Members

Then, to echo my post upthread about the joke "Spencer" casting call, why not ask to see Asian actors as well? Or Samoans? Or Native Americans? Or...whatever other ethnicities I'm overlooking (apologies for that)? They're not Caucasian.

• Members

I feel like that is kind of what they did for the most part, but I think one also has to take into account that this character most likely will have ties to someone already on the show, and that may be why they are casting a "brown "actress, perhaps because the character is related to a brown person?

I don't really understand the up roar over a culturally loose casting call. I mean does it really matter? Rafe Hernandez is supposed to be from a Hispanic linage but the actor who plays him is Russian. Arianna was also supposed to be some form of hispanic, but Lindsey Hartley is Greek. We all know that Days plays fast and loose with casting minorities. It wouldn't surprised me if they casted an Indian, Ethiopian or Carribean person as a "Black" character, as long as they could pass for that race. I don't think that is of any importance of them. An step toward an ethnically diverse cast is a step toward an ethnically diverse cast.

• Members

ohmy.png . I had NO idea about Galen and Lindsay -- and now that I do, I'm REALLY offended. To me, that's like in the Golden Age of Hollywood, when movie casting directors would cast Hispanic (and sometimes even tanned Caucasian) actors to portray Native Americans.

Archived