Antenna TV Thread

allmc2008

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

THANK YOU, MeTV, for giving me Hawaii Five O!  I'm in heaven!  

I record them and watch on the weekend!  Then I see the eppies are on Amazon for a fee, of course. I bought Draw Me A Killer yesterday because I love this eppy but it's in S6. We're only on S2. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow. Just glancing at it, I'm not sure how I feel about it. ALL of the Norman Lear sitcoms are gone except for MAUDE, which is a shocking option for the one to keep. I don't think they'll be gone for too long, honestly. It's a huge mistake to just wipe them out of primetime in favor of shows that have never really performed that well for them (except for TC, which IMO plays best in late mornings and post-primetime). I figured with them getting rid of the standard back-to-back airings, they'd hold on to at least AITF and S&S while bringing in new stuff. Unless they've lost the rights to the Lear shows, I see them coming back by March.

I'm not happy with ALICE's timeslots at all. THE HOGAN FAMILY has some good spots. I'm very happy to see that Johnny Carson is slowly getting a push later. You know that's a goner once the contract is up!

The whole thing just seems like a big hot mess that they just slapped together. Lots of great shows, but very confusing scheduling.

• Members

That was my thought on it. A mess. But lots of great shows.

Agreed it's interesting that, of all Lear shows, they kept Maude, which had been banished to like once a week in a late night slot.

I do wonder if they've lost the rights to the Lear shows. But I'm OK with a break because they've run continuously and they're also all on other channels.

• Members

Yeah, as much as I love them, they were due for a break. I'm just hard-pressed to determine which shows from the same-ish era would be worthy replacements. IDK, I guess it's good that these other shows are getting a shot at holding primetime together, but I just don't think this will be good for them in the long run.

Whenever a new Antenna schedule comes out, I always get this strong desire for them to pick up It's a Living, which I've never ever actually seen.

• Members

I spent the evening with Antenna TV the other day, WH!!, 227, S&S, TJ... When the opening titles for GT began to roll, it hit me that FIVE black sitcoms were being aired in a row on a network that was not BET, TVOne, Centric, Bounce, et cetera.  This may not seem like a big deal to many people, "good shows are good shows, people are people..."  Nah.  It's actually a VERY big deal and I applaud AntennaTV.  If the big four had embraced representation long ago, we never would have found the need for networks like those I mentioned.

When I saw that they were marathoning the entire series of AITF, I felt physically overwhelmed, lol.  It just seemed like... a lot.  I love AITF, but it's a main course if you know what I mean, it's a show that I need breaks from.  It's heavy.  But I guess this is their farewell for now.  I doubt I'll tune in at all for the marathon.  I'm trying to think if there's an episode or a guest star I've been meaning to see.

• Members

I wish Antenna would do more of what TV Land used to do, airing random short run series just for kicks.  Thankfully there's the Internet and generous uploaders.  Shows like Filthy Rich, Madam's Place, I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.  There were a ton of shows in first run syndication, I wonder if they'll ever be seen again.  Some I remember:

Out of This World

Harry and the Hendersons

What a Dummy

Starting from Scratch

The Munsters Today

The New Gidget

The New Lassie

I love watching Carson, never did as a kid.  I thought there would be more episodes though.  Last night's with Keshia Knight Pulliam, I felt like I had just watched it not long ago.

Do we know why they don't air Ed announcing the guests?

• Members

Have Antenna's ratings ever been published anywhere? I'd be curious to see how Johnny does for them, and if it does do well, why are they pushing it to a later slot (though I do recognize that this was the show's regular slot in its original run).

I always hoped The New Gidget would show up at some point to pair with the 60s show. A little two hour block on Saturdays and/or Sundays of those short-lived 70s/80s sitcoms would be excellent. Just run each show through once and then roll something else in there.

Archived