Antenna TV Thread

allmc2008

• Members

I forgot how much I liked Valerie/Hogan's Family. Sandy Duncan was OK but I missed Rhoda playing mom even though I still liked the show. Glad to see it airing again. It's been a long time.

I really haven't seen much of Head of the Class before this. It's nothing amazing IMO but it's fun. I like it.

My Two Dad's is OK because of the cast but it's never been a favorite of mine, I'd have put a different show in there and kept this one on weekends only.

Small Wonder is just awful lol

I talked about it when Antenna first started airing it but I enjoy Mr. Belvedere more than I ever thought I would (Antenna is the first time I've seen the show). I also really never saw much of Webster and I'm enjoying that more than I thought I would too.

So many of these shows had been forgotten about for so long. Sure a few would pop up here and there but they never lasted long.

I'm also enjoying Murphy Brown and Wings and Benson and Soap. I've seen them all before of course but it's been a while so it's good to re-watch them.

The entire lineup is pretty good. I'd have put Newhart and One Day at a Time in there somewhere. And where's Night Court and Who's The Boss? They'd fit in perfectly. I think they have them it's just a matter of when they start them.

It's a shame Alf, Diff'rent Strokes and Facts of Life are on ME-TV (where they don't really fit in) they'd be perfect right now on Antenna TV. Even Mama's Family would be better suited for Antenna but it makes more sense on ME-TV because of Carol Burnett.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched a good bit of the Saturday lineup yesterday while planning some lessons, and I have to say that it really is an overwhelmingly 80s network now. It's nice that the Saturday night 50s/60s block is still there to sort of counter that. Once upon a time, those shows' weekday presence extended further into the afternoon so as not to make it seem as though the focus was on later shows.

They began with the first episode of Valerie yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. My watching of it has been spotty over the years, but I've always liked it. Doogie Howser is still one of the most ridiculous shows I've ever watched, and not because he's a teenage doctor.

I'm going to try to watch some of these shows while they're around. I'm really curious as to what happens if/when some of them don't pan out. The Lear shows are goooooooone, so there's no running back to AITF or Sanford and Son to cure any ratings woes. I'm really pissed that I missed the new primetime lineup all last week. I'm going to try to watch some SOAP (never saw the first season) this week.

• Members

Yeah.

I watched Gimme a Break! and Silver Spoons this morning, and they looked fine. SS seems to be edited. Commercial breaks were long, and they cut to a break in a very awkward spot. I've watched SS on and off throughout the years, but I don't think I'd ever seen the first episode before. They so lazily threw the premise together. "I'm your son!" Edward barely reacts before he just accepts Ricky as his son. Ricky is barely at the house before Edward gets sad about telling him he has to leave. I know that the show gets way better than that and is a legit classic, but what a rocky start.

Another great episode of Valerie today. VH really fit the "boy mom" role well, and she and Jason Bateman played perfectly off of each other. It's no wonder the first two episodes centered on the mother/son dynamics between Val and David. I'm also really digging the soft piano version of the theme that they sometimes use during the tender parts of the show. I'm looking forward to seeing the show progress. Mrs. Poole was corny as hell but in "Lawd is she serious

Please register in order to view this content

" way.

I reeeeeeeeally hope these stick around for a good long while.

Yes, I agree with this. It reminds me a lot of Mr. Belvedere in that way. Both shows were good bridges between the early 80s era of family sitcoms and the TGIF era.

• Members

I'm watching the Alice pilot on Antenna now (with Alfred Lutter as Tommy), and it's not processed. Ugh. I wish they'd be consistent. Or maybe my eyes are wonky.

First commercial break was 15 minutes into the program, so it looks uncut, but then they rejoined the show in the middle of a conversation between Mel and Flo, so I'm guessing we're getting the least edited version of the show.

I've loved Philip McKeon's Tommy since I was ten years old, but Alfred Lutter's version - in the film and in the pilot - had so much going for him as a character. He was such a dry little [!@#$%^&*]. Not sure if that would have gotten old or not had he gone on to play the character in the series.

• Members

I liked the Valerie Harper years of the show better...it was less slapstick/punch lines...and more family oriented.  That was one of the disagreements she had with the network/producers that led to her being fired.  They wanted the shoe to become more TGIF'd/slapstick...and she wanted a more family based sitcom.  

Silver spoons had a rough start..but found it's footing quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

LOVE the additional timeslot for Alice. I wanted it before Three's Company, so, yay!

But boooo. Mr. Belvedere looks to be off the schedule. Personally I'd have kept My Two Dads just on weekends.

Becker feels so out of place to me. It works in the primetime lineup but I'd have put Newhart in it's place in primetime. Maybe not the same timeslot but in primetime.

Aren't they supposed to have some more shows waiting to be aired? Who's The Boss? and Night Court would fit in great.

Is Doogie off the lineup too?

• Members

Doogie, Belvedere, and Evening Shade are all gone. I've gone on record here as saying I love me some Belvedere, and I've enjoyed Evening Shade whenever I've had a chance to watch - surprised it's not sticking around as a pair with Coach.

I like Becker, but I've never watched it with any regularity, and I don't see it happening now, either.

• Members

If anyone gets Decades, they seem to be going to a more regular lineup in March. Picking up some shows it seems Antenna and ME-TV dumped.

7-8AM: The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show
8-9AM: Through the Decades
9-10AM: I Love Lucy
10AM: Our Miss Brooks
10:30AM: I Married Joan
11AM-12PM: The Donna Reed Show
12PM-1PM: Family Affair
1PM-2PM: Petticoat Junction
2PM-3PM: The Mary Tyler Moore Show
3PM-4PM: The Bob Newhart Show
4PM-5PM: Newhart
5PM-6PM: The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show
6PM-7PM: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
7PM-8PM: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
8PM-9PM: Through the Decades
9PM-10PM: The Dick Cavett Show
10PM-11PM: The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show
11PM-12AM: Through the Decades
12AM-1AM: The Best of Hollywood
1AM-2AM: The Dick Cavett Show
2AM-4AM: Movies or documentaries
4AM: The Loretta Young Show
4:30AM: Honey West
5AM: Mr. Lucky
5:30AM: Colonel March of Scotland Yard
6-7AM: The Best of Hollywood

What a great lineup!

• Members

Currently I get it too. I like how unique it feels. I hope they don't stray too far from it. I do like they have a pretty nice regular lineup coming though. But I enjoy the weekend binges (which are staying) and the variety of rare short-lived shows that pop up.

I do wonder if ME-TV is really dumping that many shows though. Lucy has been off the lineup I believe. Mary and Bob air late night on Sunday. Donna is kind of out of place now with Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes airing in the early morning with her. But I guess they could be sharing the shows, I doubt there's exclusivity anymore.

I'm surprised Get Smart wasn't on the regular lineup. Or The Lucy Show/Here's Lucy. I hope they pop up. That Girl would fit in well too. Will be nice to see Family Affair again.

I like that you "travel through the decades" starting in the 50s with Lucy and ending in the 80s with Newhart.

Now if only Retro could get it's act together. Would be perfect to rerun soaps if they aren't going to pick up any old sitcoms or dramas. I don't even know what's on there at this point (besides The Doctors) and I don't know how readily available the network is over the air. Retro should have picked up Edge of Night and Dark Shadows (well, I'd prefer a lot more soaps than that but I think they'd pair well with Doctors, along with Peyton Place)

I love Belvedere too. It's so much better than it was made out to be. It seemed to be the bunt of jokes in some sitcoms and it was never aired anywhere, really, in syndication (at least in the 2000s and probably the mid-to-late 90s) until Antenna picked it up, so I always just kind of assumed it was 'crap'. But it's not. (I had never seen one second of Belvedere until it started on Antenna). I hate to admit even cringey Small Wonder has grown on me (very slightly).

I never would have expected a lineup of some of these shows, ever, so it's really cool to have such variety and some shows getting to see the light of day again.

Archived