DAYS: Drake Hogestyn news

• Members

Drake Hogestyn (John) tweeted this last night:
"Since my last show for DAYS was taped on March 18th. I was shocked to hear of Fran Bascom and Paul Skippers demise. R.I.P. my friends"

No word yet if Hogestyn is out for good, or just on the bench for a few months. With his most recent episode taped in mid-March, look for John to be leaving and absent from the show from at least mid-July until mid-October. Will Drake be back for November sweeps, or is he leaving the show permanently in mid-July?? More news when it becomes available.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My smart money is that he will be back... that this is a designed absence.

If it's not, hooooo-wee! Are the fans ever going to give Days holy hell. I know I would. You weren't happy ripping up Jack and Jennifer and Bo and Hope (although that was due to Peter's exit), now John and Marlena?

Enjoy your higher ratings, Days... I gotta believe you're losing some hardcore Jarlena fans shortly. sad.png

• Members

Maybe the show is testing Marlena sans John.. and will see how it comes across on screen with viewers. Even so, almost three months without John will be heaven!

I think viewers forget that Marlena had two other successful pairings in the past : Don Craig and Roman Brady (wayne w version).. so it isn't as if Marlena should be held hostage to just John.

Besides, there are ample amounts of story they could feature Marlena in without John. She is a therapist, she is a mother/grandmother/great grandma... she has a strong rival in Kristen. The possiblities are endless.

• Members

I hope he's gone for good and never comes back. I've always hated John Black and storywise he's responsible for completely ruining everything that was unique and original about Marlena and is the biggest soap operas are embarrassing cliché. His absence can only be a good move.

• Members

Oh, there was a spark between them. His introduction was one of the best stories in Days' history. Look, I'm not John and Marlena's biggest fan, far from it. And if you were going to bring Wayne back to play Roman I'd say give it a try. I'm just sick of the vets being treated like crap.

• Members

I hope he's gone for good too. He's been absolutely terrible since his return and even before that he was hit/miss. I can't take John serious at all.

And I wouldn't say any of his other absences hurt the show in any way so I don't see this as anything negative.

• Members

Well I am a HUGE Jarlena fan. In fact Jarlena was the reason why I started to watch this show (and Marlena's possession made me a DAYS addict for life). However, I am SOOOO over them as a couple at this point. Not only is the writing bad for them, Drake's acting has taken a turn for the worse. I don't know if my standards were just lower back then or he was a better actor back then, but I don't remember him being this bad in the 80s and 90s. He was never truly an Emmy caliber actor, but he wasn't 't this horrible either. The last time John had consistent decent performances was when they made him into RoboJohn.

The double-edged sword for me is that I believe that Reilly was the only one who knew how to write for Jarlena, however he was the one who slowly initiated Marlena and John's character destruction. Yes I enjoyed Marlena being possessed and being a serial killer because it gave Deidre Hall something different to do and she knocked those storylines out of the park. However, it made her character into a cartoon. Yes I enjoyed John being a spy, a priest, a mercenary, whatever plot driven drivel he had to become for the storyline. However, John's character was never fully developed and Drake Hogestyn didn't have the acting chops to compensate for his lack of character development by fully defining the character himself (much like what actors like Arianna Zuker and Louise Sorrel had to do with their characters when they were being written as one dimensional at times).

It took them killing off John to remind me of who Marlena was and what she could be without him. She is a much better character without John in her orbit. Deidre Hall is also a much better actress when she shares scenes with everyone else but Drake. I personally think she is over Jarlena and Drake to be honest.

If they want Marlena to have a viable love interest that longtime fans can relate to that won't destroy her character, they need to fire Josh Taylor and bring back Wayne Northrop as Roman. He is a much better actor and has a lot of chemistry with Dee. I would love to see them work their way back to each other and see Sami interact with her real daddy again. I honestly hope that Drake will take this time off to get some acting lessons. I've said before that it is a shame that he and Shawn Christian are basically the only leading males in that age group. The show did a great disservice to itself when they let Peter Reckell walk.

Archived