AMC: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Webmaster

I'm pretty sure that Women 18-49 isn't the key demo anymore. Women 18-34, maybe...but Adults 18-34 in general seems to be the audience I'm under the impression is the "key" demo. AMC/OLTL are essentially the online equivalent of Univision/Telemundo soaps, which are heavily viewed by latin males and females.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree on Erica for two reasons:

1) Her return will be a great way to drum up publicity again separate from premiere week

2) I think part of the reason we got Francesca & David & Julia & Jill & even Joe is because they know that a Susan Lucci-free AMC is a little jarring so they are giving us plenty of vets.

I think we need to see Erica at some points, but I'm thinking it might actually be better if she just pops in here and there for a good arc. I think the main problems with Erica in the final years were they featured her a lot but at the same time had no idea what to do with her.

• Members

Look, I'm fine with the pace as well. Marland, too, was about the "slow burn," even if his wasn't as slow as Bill Bell's or even JER's. But Marland (and Nancy Curlee, and Henry Slesar, and even Agnes Nixon and Wisner Washam) knew also how to make the "in the meantime" as interesting and fun as possible. He had characters who were drawn sharply enough, with enough shadings of mystery, to pull viewers through the dull spots, when viewers had to trust and believe that something good was coming. By contrast, the characters on AMC, especially the newer ones, are just so weak and passive that they can't hold up any scene, no matter how short.

I mean, even PASSIONS' first three days felt more purposeful, despite my insta-hate for Ethan/Theresa and all that business with the White Light warning someone that "Evil is coming!".

• Members

Khan--Passions first week (which I kinda found entertaining I admit--I think I gave up soon after I realized all the setup was for nothing) served an extremely different purpose than AMC's first three episodes (which would be--if you minus commercials for both, the first two episodes of Passions time wise.)

One has to create a whole new canvas while trying to incorporate a 41 year canvas and the issues that happened there, into it. The other had a blank slate.

Carl posted a great article from when The City premiered about the whole filming process--they didn't use the three camera setup, but it was on video and they used some film finish filter technique (which soon later Sunset Beach used when it started, for a brief time, and I think AMC used very briefly to much complaint on here, as well).

• Members

I agree about a vixen. (Though I know Khan you want all the older women to be tentpoles wink.png ) I think Francesca's character could have an ace up her sleeve and be interesting if/when broadened out. I would love to see her being more manipulative than she is--and I think that could happen.

And let's remember Erica was not even on the first week of episodes.

As for your second comment--she didn't tell Phil that till Feb 1971. Give it time. (But I will grant you that Miranda complaining about One Direction being so ten months ago for her, is not as iconic as the Hollywood and Vine speech.) tongue.png

• Members

Agreed. My mom, who admittedly only came to AMC a few years after me--I think because she felt she should do something with a lonely seeming gay son and knew I watched it everyday--called me today and said that it's suddenly starting to feel like Pine Valley to her again.

• Members

I think this is a valid point. Obviously I'm looking at it as a "make the best of a bad situation" scenario, but I think to have Erica on right now and not in a frontburner story would be a let down--and I'm not sure that there would be one for her right away. And a cameo in the premier and then not for a few months would feel like a tease (and more than a Passions tease :P )

• Members

I don't mind the slower pace - it is actually the shorter scenes that I find more jarring. My biggest gripe is the dialogue - it is trying to hard to be witty, and using far too many cultural references, etc.

Melissa Salmon

Teresa Zimmerman

Patrick Mulcahey

Bettina Bradbury

Richard Culliton

All of them are wonderful dialogue writers, and if put in an editing position, could really help the show develop the characters' voices.

Sorry if spelling any of the writers' names are wrong, too tired to look them up.

Archived