MTV: RuPaul's Drag Race

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have heard some things (poor Sheangela, another of my favorites) so I understand.  Due to the Lockdown, I've been catching some of the recent season and liked it (I haven't watched a season since Season 2/3 back in 2010...life, no channel, blah blah) so I have to say seeing so many people from seasons I watched I admit I want to see. And I just love JuJu...lol. My BFF (who got me into it) is so excited for Alexis.

• Members

Yep. What happened with Shangela was absolute bullish!t, especially after she worked so hard to refine her look and polish her act during her years away from the show. I’ve never understood Ru’s desire to create fake drama on All-Stars in order to differentiate it from the mothership.

• Members

I like the idea behind GIgi's, but I couldn't finish it. Not because it was not good, but now that song (and Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off') have new emotional attachments to them due to the show THE MAGICIANS. But no spoilers here if you haven't watched that.

Please register in order to view this content

I came middle of the show from work. I liked it overall. I loved that Heidi got voted that. And I am happy with who won because I felt of the three I could not take my eyes off her. 

• Members

Winner was never in doubt. She’s amazing.

I loved Heidi’s little sketch in the middle of the finale. She’s so much fun.

Sad about the longtime Drag Race producer who passed away. That was a lovely tribute to her from the queens throughout the seasons. They really created a vivid picture of who she was.

Much better finale than the lackluster reunion.

• Members

First off Congrats to Jaida  - some stunning looks throughout the season and a funny likeable queen.

Ru's serial killer masks were just plain weird.

Going in it was b/w Jaida and Gigi. Crystal was great but too quirky and not as polished  up against those two.

OK Face lipsync

Gigi was clear winner , even using her eyelashes as Michelle stated. Crystal's makeup was messy and made it hard to make out her expressions and those yellow teeth !! Jaida did a fine job.

Home made video.

Crystal was madness with the bird theme but she should have moved to a full reveal in some bird costume than just the puppets all the way through.

Gigi's was incredible with the costumes. filming and tribute to the original clip.

Jaida just pushed the sofa to one side of the room and the Ciara song was pretty ordinary.

Final lipsync

Again Crystal's look was cluttered and distracted from the lipsync .The song didn't suit her .

Gigi slayed it with the costume change 

Jaida to me was up to her usual standard but nothing we hadn;t seen before.

So I was a little surprised to have Ru announce Jaida as the winner.

Methinks that Gigi didn't represent  what Ru (and the producers) want the show to represent.  

The narrative constantly pushed is that the show is some sort of touchstone that changes lives and provides inspiration for the vulnerable and marginalized.

Gigi was a confident, talented , priveleged queen with supportive mom.

Not the struggle that Ru wants to present.

• Members

Rumor has it Gigi almost got disqualified because they were told their lipsync videos had to be filmed at their homes and she went to a studio to have hers professionally done. They made her refilm it. All in all I thought all the videos had a good idea. Crystal suffered from poor execution. If it looked more put together it would’ve been my favorite. Jaida was stunning. Gigi’s was good but I was bored with the song. I do think Crystal should’ve done Rhythm of the Night. Ru would’ve loved that and it would’ve been a nice bookend on her lookalike comparisons. 

In the end I’m happy Jaida won. It’s always nice seeing a black girl win when so many have been overlooked. For All Stars I’m rooting for the minority queens because that show is the worst when it comes to picking a worthy winner. Jujubee is my first choice then Shea. 

• Members

I'll be honest. When I first saw Jaida's I was taken aback especially after watching Gigi's and Crystal's (not that Crystal's was very good IMO), because it's the one that looked like she just recorded it at home. The other girls had backgrounds or other elements that distracted from the fact they had to do these at home. Jaida pulled up in her living room and started dancing with all her furniture on display. However, after watching a second time, she did deliver with moves and a good lip sync, it was just so distracting because it looked like a Tik Tok video. 

Edited by GLATWT88

• Members

I think Jaida’s edit this season laid her out as the favorite, although they provided arcs for Crystal (finding her quirky voice) and Gigi (early front runner rediscovering her confidence after several shaky weeks) to try to make them seem competitive. (To be honest: The mostly white Drag Race fan community have often diminished the black queens, so I’m not surprised if there’s controversy beyond the usual “my favorite didn’t win,” but I see a good bit of support for Jaida.)