GH 50: Discussion for the Month of April - May 3, 2013

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No I don't think so, but it shouldn't have been a plot point to them or I believe the only number mentioned being done but not seen. I don't think it's out of the question for a lonely guy who's wife has been dead for awhile now to stop a girl from having sex with him in the shower at work to grab a condom. Even with his history. And I loved they they let britt Reece robin and her HIV and being thankful all she got was knocked up. I loved it when Claudia didn't want to be related by robin too - things like that a still very realistic IMO. But back to Patrick I do think if it was after a date and at one of their places he would be more inclined to stop and get a condom, but I think he was caught up in the moment and not thinking about much more than getting off.

• Members

The problem with Britt is she is a stock, typical RC character - two-dimensional, bitchy or psycho, then he becomes enamored of what little the actor can make of such a part and does a 180 - it's all her evil mother to blame. But there's still virtually nothing there on the page to explore this character's inner life. He did this same thing, or tried to, with Hannah on OLTL, they kept touting Meghann Fahy as a Broadway star and tried to make her into the new Marty, right down to Marty vouching for her. But the character was nothing, there was too little to work with and within a few months they'd gone back to having her as a psycho.

Back in the '90s or even 2000, a woman like Britt - a sexually adventurous, ambitious, upwardly mobile career physician - would have an inner life on this show, her own interests, her own neuroses and vulnerabilities long before we discovered she was the daughter of Faison and this madwoman. Today she is little more than a piece of cardboard and that's why it doesn't work and won't last, though I'm sure they will try to make her last. Because RC no longer does foundation work anymore. He used to. He doesn't now, it's all plot. And it's too bad because that character could have worked, and IMO it's too late. Plus the actress is a little too weak.

• Members

Vee, I don't disagree that Ron doesn't do the leg work in creating characdters anymore but Hannah worked for me (Meghann was great) and Britt works for me too. I don't agree that the actress is weak, I actually think she has more talent and charisma than Teresa (Sabrina). Nothing she's doing feels forced, unlike with Sabrina, though I'm not sure how much I can fault Teresa for struggling to act like a 12-year-old in a 30-year-old's body or the downright embarrassing moment today with Sabrina struggling to get the word "bitch" out of her mouth.

• Members

To me it's not an issue of her vs. Sabrina. I don't mind Sabrina really, I like her in doses (and I think she's written and directed to be far too juvenile), but I don't think she hung the moon. I think the character is very thin as well and I can certainly see why people would hate her, though I don't. But Britt has even less there, and that's crap. It has her there as little more than a cardboard villain who they will do a quick Hannah O'Connor two-step and waste more of my time. The way you could've done it right is fleshed out both women from the beginning.

• Members

Well said, and Hannah is a great comparison. I *hated* how they went from her being this troubled potential psycho, then seemed to be working hard to try to get the audience to sympathize with her, and then in typical RC fashion just sorta went "well this isn't really working, SHOVE IT" and she suddenly was in full out "I'm gonna bury you alive" psycho mode (funny you bring up Marty, as that's what he sorta did to her when he no longer knew what to do with her.)

• Members

Oy only Ron would dare stoop to announcing a pregnancy due to unprotected sex at an HIV/AID event. I know it's only a soap but that right there was some offensive writing. AMFAR should put out a statement we're not responsible for horrible messaging of this event. What happened to Lucy telling stories about real HIV patients or amounts raised in between acts? Throwing Robin's picture up there while honoring newbie Sabrina's new family? Really Ron?!! I just found that whole juxtaposition beyond off-putting and wonder if Ron realizes how badly he's sabotaging Sabrina with long-time viewers like me who grew up watching Robin and rooted for her to find love and a family.

As for the rest of the show, AJ and Liz are reminding me more and more of Ewen & Liz. Both are written like some afterthought to Ron.

Pip was fantastic and JE can still really move. That was a fun, great number.

So Ellie is already starting her obsession with Maxie's pregnancy. Poor Ellie she's the one newbie RC created that I enjoy.

The evil doc dancing in the hotel room reminds me how completely crazy Faison can act too. So Britt set out to get pregnant with Patrick's kid just like evil doc did with Faison, and both plans will fail miserably? I wish Ron would realize it's 2013 and write more serious and MODERN stories. I loved the 80s and the IP nod, but ALL of Ron's stories over-use the old soap cliches and the writing feels so out-dated. This inability to bring soaps current been killing the genre for decades. Man, GH needs a Linda Gottlieb type to bring GH into the modern era.

Today felt again like Ron was writing a parody of a soap.

• Members

I'm sorry, I see nothing between Liz and AJ. Not even friendship chemistry. They aren't forced (because as mentioned, their dynamic is still an afterthought), but nothing particularly interesting, chemistry-filled, or eye-catching. I just don't want to see them in any serious romantic circumstance.

Instead of this Sabrina/Britt nonsense, they really should have tried to develop something serious between Liz and Patrick. Becky and Jason actually have something sizzling going on in their scenes together.

• Members

Mostly I get the idea that they decided Britt couldn't carry the story, so her mother is doing that now, and Britt will be softer or more sympathetic, in case they want to keep her.

I think the actress is...sort of there. I've seen more talk about her teeth than anything she's done in scenes.

I think they should have cast the woman who plays Sabrina in this role. I think it would have suited her a little more. As it is, there's always a ton of awkward, stilted acting from Felix and Sabrina.

• Members

This is one of the problems with the NB. By the last years of the Ball, GH had no mention of safe sex. There were comedy segments about videos aired at the Ball where people were having unprotected sex. I think it is mostly just seen as a party. I saw some comments that the person who seemed most respectful of Robin's memory in the last few months was Carly. I don't think that's entirely true, but it's a little sad.

• Members

Ron is even repeating his own stories now. AJ/Liz/Nik feels like Ewen/Liz/Jason. Liz/Nik are the ones with the long-term, complicated history and the ones I suspect get the real emotional beats.

BH and JT didn't spark for me and there's no real angst or complications there. I far more enjoyed Sam and Patrick fight scene and boy would that make one complicated relationship to deal with their old insecurities over Jason & Robin.

JT and TC don't work because he doesn't do cloying, sweet stuff well. JT is better in Hepburn and Tracy type setup.

As for the NB, even the last one had more mentions of the donation raised and the cause in one day than all 3 days of Ron's version.

Archived