GH 50: Discussion for the Month of April - May 3, 2013

• Members

I know Starr usually didn't sing teen pop rock, or whatever Molly was doing, but for some reason I still got Starr flashbacks. I hope this won't lead to a Jailbait video.

The water filter does much better in scenes with her mother than she does with other people.

I actually kind of like that they had a few deliberately bad acts - it's certainly true to life, and LLC managed to play most of the humor in that psychic routine.

That Pointer Sisters song doesn't quite work without the ladies but Sonya Eddy did a nice job (not talking about the outfits...). I liked seeing the silly dancing in the audience. I thought I saw Jerry Jacks for a minute.

I liked Lucy's last dress.

I'd have to say flaws and all I still enjoyed this more than the last 2-3 NBs, which I mostly remember for the sad PC ghetto sequences where Wayne and Wanda style numbers were done to approximately 4 people. I don't need or want to see this every year, but I liked it.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought it was actually a pretty lovely NB but for a few lowlights, like the end ballad - oh, my God. Certainly less cheesy than some, but that may be the passage of time; the last one, under JFP in 2001, was irredeemably horrible though. I do hope they make it a yearly tradition again.

• Members

I was a little freaked out when she started singing - I thought she was in heat at first.

I thought the song was relatively pleasant, but for some reason I kept expecting "You Are Not Alone," and a Michael Jackson impersonator (or Caleb) would wander on, tear his shirt open, and rub his chest morosely.

I kind of hope Starr's last scene ever is dumping someone via phone like they're [!@#$%^&*] on her shoe.

• Members

If they ever do one of these again I need them to sing "Up the Ladder to the Roof." They should have done this in 2001 but it's never too late.

It cracked me up. I guess I should have felt sorry for Michael but I decided, instead of having any real reason for the breakup like undead HopeandCole, she just got away from Port Charles and realized she was involved with someone whose parents were likely to feed her into a meat grinder, literally or figuratively.

• Members

I have a sinking feeling that number was originally intended for Starr.

I couldn't make out more than a few lyrics of that song but it seemed like a weird teenage girl polemic. Maybe I'm just unfairly mentally associating Nancy Lee Grahn and her daughter.

• Members

I thought it was weird that Monica and Tracy didn't do anything during "Jump" but dance around in place shimmying like Hawaiian girl car dashboard dolls. Leslie Charleson looked so confused. Her facial expressions in several shots were priceless.

I assumed it was Cole and Hope. I thought it was so ridiculous they didn't come up with anything explicit to put onscreen. I'm sure PP tied their hands, but still. At the very least, they could've planned for this knowing it was coming many months ago, and had Starr and Michael break up onscreen but leave the door open for a future reconciliation. That would have been a proper hedging of their bets.

• Members

Enjoyable episode Thursday!

Liked the flashbacks explaining what Nikolas had been up to. His dynamic with Stavros and Helena was also great. I also liked Stavros's obsession with Lulu and got chills (haha bad pun) from the "my Ice Princess" line at the end as we saw her frozen!

I think Genie Francis is a great actress and still feel a connection between Luke and Laura (which doesn't mean I want them back together, because I don't). I do agree she was over the top with Laura cowering behind Luke after Stavros started saying stuff but I also understand why she made the choice she did; this is someone who terrorized Laura, held her prisoner, may have raped her, and has come back from the dead twice.

Also loved AJ's hilarious reaction to Michael even though it wasn't good parenting.

Sonny and Olivia were alright. I liked Olivia's concern for Dante and for her cousin.

Kate Hall was the dialogue writer on Thursday, Carl, and I think the sentiment behind the line you liked may have been something in the breakdown already too. I thought Kate Hall was a good dialogue writer at AMC and she's done pretty well so far in the 3 weeks I've started watching GH again as well.

Sad to hear from carolineg that Brenda won't be back for good ... I was hoping she would be,

• Members

Not 'may,' he did rape her. Repeatedly, I believe.

I just didn't have a problem with her terror; I thought it was the reaction she should've had in 2001, but everyone in that storyline just looked like they wanted to die.

I didn't understand why Nikolas had to hang around the island for apparently weeks or months, 'playing along.' He couldn't have called, texted or emailed anyone before Stavros was up and walking and talking? We know Helena and Stavros went traveling for medical aid and left him an opening after he found his father, because by the time Nikolas was taken out Stavros was up, walking and talking.

• Members

He didn't realize how dangerous Stavros would be until he found out about the obsession with Lulu. Once he was knocked out, he did try to warn everyone. He called Lulu and Lucky but then they took his phone away when they caught him calling Lucky so he tried to get to PC as fast as he could. I do agree he should have tried to contact Laura though on the way, maybe borrowing someone else's phone.

Anyone is going to feel a small tug of doubt about betraying their father, even a father as twisted as Stavros and a family as messed up as the Cassadines, so I can buy why he was just playing along to see what was happening, hoping to prevent anything major, before realizing he couldn't handle it himself and had to warn people.

• Members

Not to mention he knew very early on he was obsessed with Lulu.

I dont buy for a moment that he was remotely torn, not about Lulu. He would have instantly told everyone to protect her. It was done for plot and not having the time/money to tell the full story in a logical way, imo.

• Members

I actually think RC is often very good at papering over this kind of background stuff/retcons - except some of the Johnny Zacchara's All-Seeing Eye crap last year - and I thought it was a very nice touch to incorporate the Aiden mess and Luke's stint in Turkey. I didn't have a problem with any of yesterday's material except when Nikolas said he couldn't call anyone. He was clearly there for weeks or months.

I also thought the dinner scenes had the kind of spooky tension and spurts of shocking brutality - yes, including Laura's scream when Stavros howled - that the Endgame mess lacked. It was really good. Then again, so was Mitch Laurence's initial return to OLTL in 2009 before it fell to [!@#$%^&*] - the macabre, eerie scenes in the greenhouse in Napa.

• Members

I actually really love how much has been played up/brought up in this story so far. It also looks like something might be happening ith Nikolas and Elizabeth, hopefully to better explain their affair and shut the door and move on (As others have stated, its almost like he is playing Lucky role with her in the hospital sort of, but i appreciate them playing her in this lulu ice princess story as she was a big player in the lucky one before). I hope that Sam will also be brought it (and i hate sam). But i do think that the story is convoluted, plotty, and Nikols was out of character to serve the plot - but thats fine as sometimes it just has to happen that way. It would have been better if things had been explained better, played up a bit longer, but i understand they have to get right to the main point of the story and play it due to actors only being back for so long, etc..

Archived