OLTL: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kind of understand CBS' position, but not 100%. I do understand the fact that they don't want to promote a competing soap opera during Y&R and B&B (Who would???), the problem is, because of the on-demand nature of AMC and OLTL, they are not really competing with them. You can still watch all 4 shows. Plus, wouldn't have been awesome to advertise on CBS Primetime, which is the #1 primetime lineup on TV?

Again, NBC is the same thing with CBS regarding advertising during Days. I do find it odd that PP decided not to advertise on NBC Primetime. Yes, NBC Primetime is low-rated (but the ratings are better than the CW). The best show to advertise on during NBC would probably be The Voice.

I also find it odd that PP won't advertise on Fox due to their lack of daytime programming and never having a soap opera, even though they are advertising on the CW which also has no national daytime programming and has never aired a soap opera if you don't count 90210, The Vampire Diaries, etc. Glee would be the perfect place to promote AMC/OLTL because the show has great 18-34 numbers, the viewers PP is trying to attract. Other great choices would have been American Idol, Raising Hope, New Girl, and The Mindy Project.

ABC, I won't even go there, even though that is the best place they could put ads.

They really need to get their advertising on syndicated shows such as Ellen, Dr. Phil, Kelly and Michael, etc. Getting the advertising on TV stations that people actually watch, especially during the day, is very important for these shows.

• Members

Whether ABC, CBS, NBC or PP like it or not, come Monday, people will be drawing comparisons between the soaps on traditional TV networks and the new online versions of AMC and OLTL. I think the traditional networks would rather hold off on these comparisons as long as humanly possible but it is inevitable.

I've had this sneaking suspicion that CBS being the much vaunted #1 network for daytime drama might feel threatened by shows that are being described as 'cutting edge', 'fresh', 'sexier', etc. Regardless of the fact that these shows are in no way competing, Y&R's anniversary celebration is in the rear view mirror and the media buzz has been about AMC and OLTL.

I'm just waiting to see a week's worth of episodes to see whether these new iterations of these soaps will up the ante and make ABC,CBS and NBC step up their game. I hope that happens.

• Members

I'm trying to figure out a way CBS (and ABC and NBC, for that matter) could spin this to their advantage. Maybe the fact that now AMC and OLTL are available when and however you want, you can watch them and their shows, too? I don't know, but I think it could be done if they tried.

• Members

Frankly, I think the only show that should be worried is GH. They might hold onto a significant number of "holdover" fans from OLTL, but on the other hand, what if those fans want KA, ME and RH only as Starr, John and Todd? And if PP satisfies their "RHTodd" fix at least, will they be as content to see him and the other two in new roles on GH?

Archived