AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's remember Michael Logan was the first one to break the news two weeks before abc was cancelling both soaps and most dismissed him and guess what he was right. All I want are these stupid idiots to finally say the shows are over and stop jerking our chains. I want to hear the words over and done. I hope PP loses their lawsuit as well. It's baloney they blamed abc for not using three characters on it flopping. PP can rot in hell.

• Members

sad.png I wish she didn't feel bad...It's not the actors faults things are where they are right now...Majority of the fault lies with PP for going ahead with a flawed production model. She's a wonderful actress. I hope she submits a reel for the 2014 Daytime Emmys. She did amazing work during the sex trafficking story. Darnell too.

PP made a lot of mistakes but they did try. I give them credit for that.

• Members

The production model was definitely off and if they weren't tied to the railroad tracks to make it a daily program, they should have simply shot 50 of each program, and slowly worked on getting "adamant abc only" viewers switched to Hulu, etc. If they had gone this way, they would still be airing new, current episodes into the next year (part of the deal they needed to keep the license although the financing might still not have worked out).

What is truly sad about the situation is that the show did extremely well on Hulu, it even did relatively well on OWN, but the remaining eyeballs that they needed probably were still out there, just too stubborn or stupid to figure out how to watch the program through their computer...

• Members

Originally they promised 210 episodes a year. That got scaled down to 168..then to 110..finally down to 40 episodes. Based on the survey they sent out they were considering scaling down even further to 20 episodes a year. If the traditional format was working they wouldn't have cut the episodes in half.

That is a flawed model.

I don't know how the shows could have worked to be successful for PP. I think they made a mistake in trying to do both shows at once. PP needed a cable deal. Unless the shows were mega hits online the profits made wouldn't have been enough to sustain the shows.

Three things PP needed

Cable deal- Online profits were not going to be enough. In hind sight losing FX Canada may have been a huge blow. Still it seems no other network was interested in the shows. Not much PP could have done in that case. I doubt OWN was PP's first or ideal choice.

Quality Show (s)- You have to put out a quality product in order to attract viewers. Neither show was engaging as it could have been.

Better Production model- Recreating the old soap format was a crucial mistake.

This was a new endeavor so mistakes were bound to be made. They tried and I give them credit for that.

I disagree about the shows doing well on OWN. OWN gave them a okay time slot and a weird schedule. I think the shows would have done far better in a prime-time slot. Maybe partnered with the Haves and Have Nots. I acknowledge that may not have been possible. More promotion wouldn't have hurt either.

• Members

Or maybe she's just feeling very discouraged by PP not telling her or her other cast mates anything about the fate of AMC, and is overwhelmed by unconfirmed rumors about the shows' fates. PP has yet told the cast and crew of AMC and OLTL anything yet!

Archived