AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

*Maybe Dixie should have been re-cast with an older actress during '05/'06 when Young was in the JR role.

-or-

*They should've cast Nelsen as a JR...and just say that shooting people is good for the skin.

It's too late to change anything now. I'll just chalk it up to good hormones for everyone involved.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the time, actors have the benefit of makeup and costumes to help themselves appear older or younger than they are IRL. AMC, however, is doing nothing to say Dixie is anything other than what she is or appears to be: a very attractive, youthful-looking woman in her late 30's/early 40's.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather they had killed off J.R. Eric Nelsen portraying her grandson still would have been a stretch, but perhaps it might have been less so without Bittle's JR around.

• Members

For that matter, where is the reaction from new viewers about AMC in general? The NYT review notwithstanding, it seems like the only people watching and talking about AMC are people who were fans of the show from before.

• Members
Thats why i said she should say that she uses Fusion Cosmetics. When talking to Bianca about the children, she could ask her if she got any new shipments for her to try out from KendallIA. I dont think JR is needed. Even if they didnt kill him off, I thought he should have been in prison

• Members

Exactly. I'm not claiming to speak for new viewers but it's hardly unreasonable to admit that the Dixie/JR/AJ timeline doesn't fit the look of the actors. Do we really need signed affidavits from new viewers to understand that? I'm completely on board with the reset but that doesn't mean that I refuse to acknowledge what's right on the screen: Cady McClain is too damn young to play Ryan Bittle's mother.

I find it hysterical that Dixie has an older child than Blair on OLTL even though KdP is eight years older than Cady. JR is probably older than Starr and Jack put together.

• Members

And that's what disturbs me, AMS. As great as it is that many old fans have returned and are loving what they see thus far, that simply isn't enough. In order for AMC to stay in production, IMO, it must cultivate new viewers.

• Members

In a way, I feel the same about Eden Riegel's Bianca being a mother to Denise Tonyz's Miranda. Perhaps the timeline fits these two better; I don't know. I just know I look at them on-screen and feel as if Eden would be more believable as Miranda's older sister.

If we were going to see Miranda now as a high school student, then I'd rather see someone like Heather Roop (Jane) as her on-screen mom. She looks as if she could have a daughter as old as Tonyz/Miranda (no offense, Ms. Roop).

• Members

How is that different from Jacob Young? It's SORAS, we live with it. And I'm sorry, but if the shows do or don't get new viewers, they won't be getting them or not getting them simply from whether or not Cady McClain is old enough to be JY or RB's mom. It's not that serious and I refuse to act like it is some big-ass deal we should all be so concerned about.

And AMC is taking place in 2013. It's just being fluid with time prior to the return.

• Members

It isn't. I had similar age-related issues with JY as JR, too.

Where AJ and Miranda are now is where JR and Bianca should be, even with SORAS as a factor. Either that, or someone should have cast Dixie with an older actress a long time ago.

• Members

Okay, but the point is it happened and it's long done. It's the way it is. Sometimes there is real visual cognitive dissonance, but for the most part soap fans handle it. They've been handling it since Irna Phillips was making Pat Bruder and Ellen Demming put their hair up to look like grandmas at age 28 or 33. It's old news and I couldn't care less.

I also don't think any of our own commentary has any particular basis or baseline in what new viewers may or may not be watching for. In case y'all haven't noticed, this is a board called "Soap Opera Network" and we've all been posting here way too [!@#$%^&*] long.

• Members

Kelly Ripa is only 7.5 years younger than Olivia Birkelund who played her mom Arlene. Genie Francis is 9 years older than her tv sons Daniel Goddard (YR) & Tyler Christopher (GH)

Also Olivia & Dante on GH are only 9 years apart IRL

People deal with it

Hell EJ is like 20 years older than he should be on Days but If ED played Susan again fans would buy it

• Members

Definitely not!! Without SORAS, without any time jumps, JR and Bianca would be turning 24 and 25 this year, respectively. Erica Kane has no business being a teenager's mother in 2013, no matter how perky her titties are.

Thank you. I hate SORAS, but I find it odd that people have a huge issue with it now. This isn't the first time there have been strong visual ramifications.

Archived