BET aired Roots today :)

ChitHappens

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I knew Mariah was part black the first time I done seen't her, as they say around the way. Wentworth's father and Jael's mother are both light and obvously mixed raced themselves. But Wentworth's black heritage came up when he did the movie Human Stain in which his character also passes. The first time I saw Rashida was on The Office and I had no clue of who she was. Honestly, I think that if I had seen her name next to her face I would have picked up on it. I had seen pics of Quincy and his family in the past but I didn't make the connection.

• Members

The first time I saw Rashida Jones was on Boston Public, and I didn't make the connection until I remembered her sister was involved with Tupac. Then I put it together and thought "that girl is QJ's daughter"? What?!

I can think of 2 occassions where a person passing totally worked and that was Imitation of Life and an eppy of Law and Order where the man was passing for white for 40 years and his wife only found out when his very black sister came a knocking (the wife divorced him and had to be bribed into taking cusody of the 15 year old son). One of my favs!

• Members

You mean the original Imitation of Life right? The woman who played in that is from my hometown. I remember being fascinated that both of her parents were black and she had light skin and green Eyes. She was offered many chances to pass as white in movies but turned them down to act in black productions, where she actually had to wear makeup to darken her skin.

• Members

Yes, Susan Kohner (Sarah Jane) is of Latin ancestry I believe. But Fredi Washington (Peola) of the first IOL was indeed black. I seem to remember my mother saying she called that Carla on OLTL was black almost immediately. I wish I could have experienced that s/l for myself.

• Members

I think that Rashida Jones definitely has a look that a lot of people would label as "ethically ambigious". I believe that her character on "The Office" (and possibly other characters she has played) have been ethnically ambigious. I think that Wentworth Miller has that look as well.

Here are some pics Rashida had tweeted a little while ago of herself when she was younger. Interestingly enough in a couple of the pictures, I think that she looks like she could be mixed with black. (IMO, the first and especially the last picture-the high school graduation one.) In the second and third pic, IMO not so much).

http://pulse2.com/2012/08/03/rashida-jones-tweets-awkward-photos-to-promote-new-movie/

Also I am glad that BET had good ratings for "Roots". It would be kind of cool if they made it a tradition to air it each Christmas. (Kind of like NBC does with "It's a Wonderful Life). It is really good storytelling and it would be nice if more people got the opportunity to see it. I caught some of the "Next Generation" and I thought it was nice. Not as good as original "Roots", but I still enjoyed seeing a lot of what I saw. The romance between Simon and Berth did seem kind of long winded though. It seemed like they were together like 8 years before they even got married. I liked seeing Irene Cara, and also Kristoff St. John when he was little. happy.png And Debbie Morgan who they ended up making look older, than she will ever look in real life, lol. It was nice seeing those and other actors in the mini series.

• Members

I was just watching Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates on PBS. He traced Wanda Sykes' family all the way back to a white woman in 1683 who had sex with a black man and received a whipping as her punishment for having his child. Crazy! This and the Roots marathon makes me want to investigate.

• Members

My great aunt has done a lot of research on my white side of the family, and I'd really like to know just as much about my black side. I'm especially curious because I know that there were relationships with whites and Native Americans and I would love to know more about that happening in the 1800s.

That's an incredible story.

• Members

Yes, now see, if I had gone to school with the girl in those pictures, I would have spotted a fellow bracial child. There's just something about her look and demeanor on The office that first time I saw her that just didn't clue me in.

ITA with you about Roots, I would watch every year! Especially seeing as long as it is, every year you'd have the chance to catch what you missed the year before.

• Members

Great L&O episode, one of my favorite ever. His new white wife had their baby who looked black, he convinced her to give her up for adoption, but then his wife changed her mind and that got her murdered. I loved the part of the investigation when they found out that he had transferred a young black man that he was mentoring when he realized that he know his family in Tennessee. The DA asked the young guy if he did not resent him, he just shrugged and said that he could not resent the man for passing because how he could only imagine what it was like to grow up in Tennessee at that time.

Bwah! Her performance in Monster Ball was anomaly. I am convinced that she only did a good job because she was so uncomfortable in the role that she was forced to concentrate and her unease showed througout.

Archived