BET aired Roots today :)

ChitHappens

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think RR's character was the most 3D and slmost frustratingly so. You really wanted him to be the good guy when he flashed those bits of humanity, then he'd do just like you said and say something to remind us all how he truly felt. I thought he'd be the kind of master who'd appreciate Missy Anne teaching Kizzy how to read. Not so. When Kizzy wrote her name on the floor and got backslapped, that was so sad. We still had such a ways to go.

• Members

I think that Robert Reed did a good job with his character. He did show flashes of humanity but he sometimes he acted more like the meaner masters did. I think that the "nicest" slave owner was the one that Tom and his family worked for. (I forgot his name). In spite of what he was, he actually seemed kind of nice.He at least thanked the family for working for him and tried to square things away with them. Even Matilda felt that way and shook his hand at the end, telling him he was "better than some".

• Members

One of my favorite scenes is where Tom takes out that confederate soldier that tries to rape his wife, it really is the only scene in the film where any of the slaves got to really fight back.

“I want you to know before you go to hell, that the last hands to touch you on this earth were my black hands.” That line was chilling, but so epic.

• Members

I am interested in seeing the Roots Christmas movie.

Also has anyone else ever seen a movie called "Skin Game"? It came out in the 70's and stars Louis Gosset Jr, and James Garner. Louis Gosset Jr, plays a free black man who has never been a slave in the movie. But he pretends to be a slave so that James Garner's character can "sell" him over and over again. The two friends/partners do this con to make money. Brenda Sykes (who I think is quite pretty) also plays in the movie as a slave woman and is Louis's love interest. Susan Ward plays James Garner's love interest.This movie comes on tv sometimes on the Western Channel, I like it.

• Members

That was so intense. I was waiting for that scene. It was so well executed that it really does seen chills. It was great to see that through the generations, the men got stronger and took chances and were not going to allow their wives to be raped.

Never saw it. I will have to look for it online.

Sounds super interesting. Will have to look this up as well.

• Members

I didn't either until yesterday. I actually missed his segment, I just read about it on Wiki. I didn't know that Vic Morrow was in it either. I hate that I don't know his work and his name immediately conjures up his tragic death.

I only saw a little bit of Carolyn Jones, once her character had aged.

• Members

Tried watching The Next Generations again after 5 years and again it was so boring. I enjoyed first 2 parts, but I just can't get into the stuff after Tom Harvey. I will say I loved the ending when Alex goes to Africa and the tribe historian tells him about Kunta never being seen again after going to get wood, and he realizes that the story that was passed down was true.

• Members

This thread inspired me to watch Roots and I'm glad I decided to jump in. I didn't know if I'd enjoy it just from a mini-series stand point. I usually either love or hate period pieces, but this was gripping and so well produced. I was really impressed with the first episode. I didn't realize how horrifying this was. I watched episode one at work and the guy I'm working with told me that was a mistake and he was right. It was worse than any horror film for me. Just such an eerie feeling knowing things are going to get so much worse and that this was just the beginning. All the "sympathetic" white characters were very transparent. That showed how far we still need to go. How do you expect me to sympathize with any of those characters when you consider how DARK what they're actually doing is? And this is fairly sanitized I'm sure.

Does anybody know how ABC got away with all the nudity? I was shocked by that. I didn't expect to see that in a 70s mini series.

Archived