Soap Opera Digest "Just My Opinion" One Life to Live

• Members

I don't see myself that way. sad.png

Yes, I think OLTL was the red-headed step-child of ABC--perhaps of all of daytime--and I won't lie that I wish it had been treated better over the years, or had more popularity like AMC or GH did, but I think it's only human to want that. At the end of the day, I know my show was cancelled. I'm fine with that, life goes on. Do I wish my favorite family--the Holdens--had been treated better? Yes. Do I wish my other favorite family--the Mannings--had been left alone? To an extent, yes. But I am perfectly content to think up of fan fic stories for my favorite families, or see what happens with the Mannings on GH (even though it is AJ/the Q's and the Scorpios that really have me watching now).

I will always love and miss my show, but I don't absolutely need for it to come back. And I wish Carolyn Hinsey would stop making OLTL fans look like we feel the show needs to come back more than any other--and this is coming from someone whose ONLY soap was OLTL for YEARS.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like I said, I think the oversight in certain areas for the show--not being nominated for Outstanding Drama Series from 1992-1996, for example, when Malone was there the first time, for example--is what made the cancellation sting so much.

Of course, the example I gave may not be the best one. From what I understand, the opposition many veteran cast members had to Linda Gottlieb as an EP had just as much to do with the Emmy oversights there than any disdain by the industry/ABC. It's just the first one I thought of.

• Members

I actually thought that it was a blessing, at times--except perhaps when Viki and Tina were so big in the late 80s on the show, I think it the lack of press allowed it to be seen for its ensemble as a whole, as opposed to just Erica or Luke & Laura, if that makes any sense.

And ultimately, there are worse things in the world than OLTL not getting as much press as AMC or GH, I know that--and I LIKE GH, too! smile.png

• Members

That's your opinion. I'm really not trying to harp on all this and sound bitter, but AMC got a move to LA, ABC invested millions into rennovating GH and AMC into HD programs, they both got lots of promo for big sweeps events in the last few years like the tornado on AMC, and all of Guza's sweeps stunt and OLTL got.... AMC's old studio which was just a place holder until they could flick it off the schedule.

• Members

Promos on Soapnet and ABC so I don't see how the promos were a big deal. Half the time no one paid attention to them because they were always the same. Except for those horrible Brenda promos that wer eon every channel I just don't see the big deal. The promos weren't attracting anyone who wasn't already watching.

• Members

It's a fact that OLTL hasn't garnered the same amount of press and/or respect as their neighboring shows (AMC & GH) throughout the 20 years that I've watched all three shows. One can blame it on the ups and downs of the show - since I have no problem acknowledging when it was below substandard - but both AMC and GH have gotten more press (even at their most terrible) than GH.

Hence is the reason why OLTL was rightfully referred to as the red-headed stepchild* of ABCD.

*Though I do remember watching Loving during the early 90s, I can't remember if it garnered any buzz or press since I was too young to pay attention to the disparities. For those who do remember that soap well, please let me know whether it was also a red-headed stepchild - as I'd be willing to concede that it surpassed OLTL on that front if it, in fact, did.

• Members

I'll leave at this. Yes, OLTL had more promo in its final years that some other soaps could have never imagined but they were not on the same network. Its clear that OLTL was considered third on ABC's checklist, and it had nothing to do with ratings since them and AMC were neck and neck for the last 5 or so years. It is what it is. I can understand why some would call it a red headed stepchild.

It is like some are always trying to make OLTL fans look like they are psycho or big babies.

• Members

I'm not sure either is true. I don't think ABC is committed to GH but as long as GH can get keep their ratings up, that gives ABC more time to focus on developing a good replacement.

I remember in a recent ratings thread someone asking if the good numbers meant that GH was "safe." GH will never be safe again. No soap will. We have left the days when it was unthinkable to cancel a soap. GH is now subject to the same rules as all other TV shows. It has to justify its existence from one quarter to the next. Right now, I'm still of the belief that they are dead in April but IF they can keep up the numbers and buzz they've had going on, I can see GH buying themselves another six months. But that's all they'll ever be able to do: stay alive six months at a time.

As for the backlash, [!@#$%^&*] the backlash. Soap fans have proven themselves to be irrelevant keeping their shows on the air or punishing the replacements. Nobody is scared of them. Let's be clear about something: when you look at fan campaigns, soap fans have accomplished NOTHING. The Jericho folks got another season, the Firefly fans got Serenity, the Save Friday Night Lights campaign got their show five seasons when it was looking at cancellation after two and Arrested Development is back in production because of unwavering fan interest. Soap fans haven't come close to any of those campaigns in either numbers, organization or effectiveness.

• Members

Why is that? Because we're dismissed as loonies? Because soaps are always going to be more expensive than alternative programming and you might as well bring back a primetime show with a loyal following then bring on a new one that'll probably get cancelled anyway?

Archived