A Very Special Episode...

SFK

• Members

I don't know whether I ever could say I enjoyed Denise Huxtable as a character, or Lisa Bonet Lilakoi Moon as an actress, but I do think both had improved upon her return to TCS. Before, she seemed always to giggle and smirk through her lines, and, well, that just got annoying after awhile. But, you know, when you're filming a sex scene for a glorified snuff film with Mickey Rourke, with fake blood dripping from the walls, you probably realize how off-track your career has become and you need to shape up fast.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely, the same could be said for Good Times.

The later season TJ episodes I remember best tend to be the darker, moodier ones. Like George being stabbed by the girl gang member, Louise's visit to her old apartment (which won IS her Emmy), George being hypnotized and remembering his father's death, Louise witnessing a murder on Halloween, Florence's crooked preacher, Charlie the bartender is an alcoholic, the Whittendales' doberman swan diving to his death off of the Jeffersons' balcony...

• Members

The first Penny episodes and the return of Penny's mom ("A Matter of Mothers") are probably the finest post-James episodes.

The worst thing about GT is that it got CORNY!! Oh my God, those silly songs and rhymes they had Keith and guest stars do, like, what corny ass writer was responsible for that crap? Unfunny, I can forgive, but corny? No sir.

• Members

I hated Keith with the fire of a thousand suns and HOW IN THE HELL do you have a career ending injury from tripping over someone? I hated that plotline so much and not to mention the episode where he hit Thelma I was just looking at the screen like :mellow:

Oh and the episode where Thelma's boyfriend was living in a halfway house for commiting bigamy. :mellow:

• Members

I don't know whether to blame that on the "advent of Olivia," though. IIRC, that also was the season when TCS went up against "The Simpsons" in their time-slot, as well as when "Cheers" finally became the most-watched show on TV.

• Members

True that. From S1 until James' death, GT was your typical, Norman Lear-produced, issue-of-the-week-driven series. After that, episodes were "softer," for lack of a better word, less stagey and pointed, and more routine (although Bern Nadette Stanis clearly didn't receive that memo, judging from her oft-screechy performances).

"And the Doorknobs Shined Like Diamonds," written by Michael G. Moye. I floved that episode. It was written and staged almost like a thirty-minute play.

Archived