A Very Special Episode...

SFK

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I should give a mention to the 1976 or so (!) episode of Alice where Mel's old football pal, now a spaghetti Western actor, visited, and quickly befriended Alice and her son Tommy. When Mel learned that his friend was gay, he was disgusted, especially since the guy and Tommy were going on a camping trip. For a moment, even Alice was concerned, but quickly stopped herself, realizing that nothing was going to happen. This was an extremely brave episode, especially for that time.

There was also an episode that would not ever be made today where Tommy wanted to go out hunting with Mel, couldn't wait to go, and was then traumatized over killing a deer.

• Members

People see the final season of "A Different World" as a disaster? That's incredible to me, because I felt like the producers had done a good job transitioning to newer characters in case the show had gone any further.

Meanwhile, remember the VSE of ADW that had Gina and her rapper boyfriend who beat her and made her wear ugly-ass shoes?

• Members

I've heard that sometimes, that people didn't like the change in tone, or the new characters. I enjoyed most of the last season and thought most of the changes were necessary but I've always sort of felt in the minority there.

I do remember that one.

They also had that first season episode with the woman who attended classes but wasn't actually a student. I remember it mostly because the woman had played on something else, but now I've blanked it out.

• Members

Wow, never saw that first ep you mention. As for the second one, the same thing happened on Silver Spoons. Rick went hunting with grandfather and was traumatized when he shot the deer... And they really freaking fell a deer! As the credits rolled, RS did a vo saying that the deer had not been harmed, just a tranquilizer... Yikes, but still...

• Members

Mammy Dearest is my favorite episode of ADW.

I really liked ADW in the last season, but I would have preferred giving Whitley/Dwayne their own show and leaving the original to the college kids plus Freddie/Ron/Kim, etc.(but considering how bad the show tanked after TCS left the air I guess neither would have worked. Also didn't like Jada Pinkett's character getting all the shine, I preferred Gina and her VSE was another fave.

Hate and I mean HATE the episode of Good Times episode with Florida as a bus driver and having a hearing impaired student. That cliffhanger was corny as hell.

Archived