A Very Special Episode...

SFK

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was actually surprised by how sweet Mother Winslow was. I was used to Rosetta LeNoire as Nell's bitchy mother, Mama Maybelle on GAB. I'm glad that RL continues to get the respect she deserves in the theatre community.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Are you a mind reader? This is EXACTLY the episode I was thinking of last night but didn't feel like explaining it yet again on this board. :lol: I don't remember the ep name, but the thrift store dress had a big stain on it and the mom said she could make her a silk cabbage rose to cover it. At the dance, the dress' bitchy original owner was jealous of Dorothy Ann and her date and yelled in front of everyone that Dorothy's dress was a thrift store dress that her clumsy little brother had spilled something on. Then she ripped off the silk cabbage rose to reveal the stain. Dorothy Jane was mortified. Her date comforted and reassured her, then covered the stain with his hand and they continued to slow dance away.

tumblr_m9xgcqAYFh1r3m4quo1_250.gif

• Members

The Torkelsons/Almost Home reran on The Disney Channel back then, but this was when TDC was still a "premium" channel on my carrier. I remember flipping past the show a couple times when I was at my aunt and uncle's.

• Members

Aww...yeah, we didn't have Disney then.

Since Roseanne was mentioned a little bit upthread, I gotta say. I love that this show handled "very special" topics without having to make them "very special" episodes. Especially in the early seasons. It was a LOT like early Good Times in that way, where they could cover serious topics and mix them in with the everyday comedy/drama of life. TV rarely does that.

• Members

You know, I think Roseanne and Good Times did that so masterfully because of the tone in which the shows were set from day one. It's much easier for characters straddling the poverty line to ease into the drama as the whole premise of these shows were built around a family's day to day struggles to keep on keepin on. Shows about rich people with rich people's problems just can't pull certain things off.

• Members

Good point about VSEs being mostly associated with sitcoms, though one can apply it to dramas as well (i.e. Boston Public, another series whose entire existence was a VSE to the point where I stopped watching because I thought that David E. Kelley was purposely messing with the audience by not producing a single non-VSE).

Was that Becca's dad or Jesse's dad that threw away that glass? I forgot, though I certainly will never forget Jesse snatching at his own body while wracked with pain.

Archived