How to write a story projection??

• Members

I was wondering on how someone writes a story projection for a soap. I am trying to start my own text-based soap by writing a projection and eventually breaking it down to scripts. I have this old book "Writing for the soaps" and I read about projections. What are they? I am guessing it is a year or so road map of the storyline you want to tell. Is it supposed to be written in 3rd person??

Thanks!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a good question. I've never tried writing a soap but I know that TV scripts have Sherwood Outlines, but TV scripts are not 5 days a week, so a Sherwood is just the A, B, and C storylines and then a breakdown of the action. And in Film and Theater scripts, often a basic outline does the trick.

But for Soaps...perhaps, are you referring to a Story Bible? Because just last year We Love Soaps had an article where they talked about they illustrated the original Story Bible for As The World Turns. It was fascinating! Perhaps if you go to the We Love Soaps Website and look around their archives, you may see examples of the format that you seek.

I don't write soaps but for me, I always seem to find that a character forms in my mind(some might say that characters 'speak to them' but I try to avoid saying anything that would give the impression that I have voices talking in my headtongue.png )

and I often work from the character to the action (story) outwards. But I usually don't get bogged down in format until I'm actually typing everything out (I am a fossil who still handwrites scripts) but then again, I have never attempted to write a 5 days a week, continuing story-- my scripts have the standard beginning, middle and end.

Does Script City sell Daytime Drama scripts?

Let me know how you make out. I'm intrigued to see what the story projection refers to.

• Members

Dont get me wrong. I now what the storylines are going to be because all I do is Jot down a brief 2-4 sentence summary of who will be involved and what the outcome will be. Write now I am one of my story line's is about the father in one my my core families loosing his job. The story is going to test the families relationship with one another.

One of my main stories is about a romance involving two elderly people.

This is a brief summery of what I wrote so far:

The Elderly women lives in a apartment with her daughter and her grandson. Recently, her daughter got out of an abusive relationship but right before she knew about her daughter and her daughters husband she visited her hometown after 40 years. When she was 20 something he parents died in a car accident. A few years later her future husband who was stationed in the area met each other and they eloped and traveled around the country because he was in the military. Anyway he has been dead for about 2 years when my story began so that's when she decided to go back to visit. When she went back to the town she was living at when her husband died she found out about the abuse and eventually her daughter divorced him and he went to prison. Anyway, the mother and daughter both agreed that Cedarville (the mothers home town) would be a great place to start over. They pack there bags and move.

The other person in the story is the man who own the local grocery store. Evidently he (His name is Harold) and the mother (BTW her name is Betsy and the Daughter is Delia) were once in love. 10 years ago his niece and great niece move in after the niece's husband died. The niece is Bethany and the Great niece is Rachael. Rachael and Bethany are both are scared that Betsy will take Harold away from them so they really hate Betsy. What they do not know is that Betsy at this point just wants to be friends with him.

There is a lot more than what I mentioned and more to come.

• Members

It's a summary, all you need to do is lay out the basic foundation of the story and characters, you can get as creative as you like. It's important to do this because it is hard to write a story without some solid foundations of ideas put down. From there, you write the scripts and as you go along, you'll find out which parts of your outline work and which ones don't, then make adjustments. Writing an outline is the best thing a writer can do, because it reduces instances of writer's block and running out of ideas. It also helps to make notes anytime you have an idea, so you can build on those ideas and figure out if they are viable in your story.

Archived