Characters that we gone too long and should've been on canvas

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On GH, I do think that Sean, Tiffany, Frisco and Lucy are some characters that have been gone WAY to long. Sean, Tiffany and Frisco could've easily come back with Robin's "death," and Frisco should've been brought back when Georgie died.

I do agree that Heather Thom would've been a great Eve Donovan recast, I think Gina Tognoni would've been as well.

• Members

Okay, yeah if I remember correctly she was slightly younger than Jen and slightly older than Carrie. Now they I think of it she coulda easily been brought on board versus creating Madison, she didnt have any MAJOR ties anymore, but she still had history and alot of people from her time were still in town and/or brought back when Madison came on board. Coulda been a situation like OLTL did Rae or Echo, where they just made her work, because of being on screen in the past and not a re-created history.

• Members

Pease's situation is very sad. I don't recall all the details, but she seemed like a deeply troubled woman at the time. I think Days put her in some very uncomfortable situations/storylines, but I always really liked her. It seems she has moved past most of her troubles and has no ill-will towards Days for needing to recast and vice-versa. I do think her situation at Days made her virtually unemployable, though.

• Members

She was put into a story about a late term miscarriage at a time she was pregnant in real life and did not want to play that type of story, so that was one exit. The last one was Kim's mental breakdown, and at the filming over the holidays, a stressful time for her, she - I think - was basically curled up in her dressing room until they let her leave, and then decided to replace her permanently.

• Members

Pretty much, Carl. Patsy Pease is a real-life survivor of childhood sexual abuse, so for her to play Kimberly during that storyline where they revisited her sexual abuse (at the hands of uncle Eric, I think) and gave her multiple personalities proved too much for her. Ironically, though, I recall SOW, at least, praising her performance as Kimberly and her alters and saying how moved they were by the story.

• Members

As I understand it, with Patsy Pease, she left the show/was fired three times. The first time was in 1990 when she was pregnant and they wanted her to have the stillborn baby. She refused, so they did a temporary recast and wrote out Kim. (Ironically, the baby lived and turned out to be Jeannie.) Her departure came in the middle of the storyline where Shane had amnesia had supposedly caused a bunch of rewrites. If you watch the storyline on YouTube, it starts out really good and then becomes a complete mess that ends really abruptly. It seemed like the show had been planning a long storyline involving high-level ISA corruption, but had to cut it short so they could give a quick Shane/Kim reunion just before Patsy left and the role was recast.

Patsy came back in 1991, but in the middle of the mess that was the Shayla storyline, she left after about nine months. Again, I've heard that left the writers having to do some hasty rewrites.

She returned when Sheri Anderson came back as headwriter, but as people mentioned, she struggled during the MPD storyline and has said that it brought up a lot of memories of her past abuse.

She was a tremendous actress, and had some incredible scenes on Days, so I hate that we never got to see what might have happened with Kim over the years. On the other hand, I can understand why TPTB at Days would be gun-shy about bringing her back for more than the occasional funeral episode.

• Members

When she came back for Shawn's funeral she said in an interview that it just wasn't the same anymore, so I was a little surprised she was back when Alice died. Her acting is very rusty but she's still such a great emotional actress, you can always feel her pain and joy. I wish we saw Kim more often.

• Members

Me too. I always really liked her. I really wonder how it would have worked out had her returns in 1991 and 1992 stuck. I wonder if JER would have kept her? He seemed to bring her back and she felt very much a part of the show IMO during his first run. And even his second. Although I wonder if that's more to do with Corday/writers? I don't know. I'd assume it'd be up to the writer for who they want to come back and write for, even in brief stints and visits.

I wish she'd have come back for Caroline's story. I still see Pease and Kim as the future Brady matriach. She just has that spunk and fire, IMO, Caroline has, although Kayla feels more natural in that supportive role, I guess.

• Members

Did DAYS ask PP whether she'd feel capable of playing such dark and heavy material? That's my question. Harding Lemay made a good point in that interview (forget with whom) that a writer and/or producer should sit down and talk with the actor before asking them to take on a story that he or she might feel uncomfortable playing.

• Members

I don't know if writers or producers should ask actors if they feel capable of playing dark and heavy material, because that should be expected of most actors. With respect to PP, by that point in her run on Days, I don't think anyone would have even thought there was an issue. Her storylines had already included the revelation of Kim's childhood sexual abuse at the hand of her uncle, the revelation of her past as a prostitute, the kidnapping of her baby, an arrest and conviction of murder, and Shane's "death," and, most of all, the loss of previous baby right before birth when Kim was hurt while trying to protect Shane's daughter. PP had done that fight scene while seven or eight-months pregnant.

• Members

Reading between the lines in interviews with PP, it seems to me that this is the story that Days and PP put out at the time (ie she didn't want to play the baby material while pregnant herself), but I suspect this is one of many issues PP was dealing with at the time. I don't think she was physically or emotionally prepared to play Kim anymore and perhaps both parties decided she should take a break and do a temp recast ala Kirsten Storms/Jen Lilley. When she came back, she still wasn't in the right place and Days had no other option but to part ways with her.

Archived