Why Are Folks Here Much Tougher on Y&R Than on B&B?

• Members

While I am pleased that B&B has remained in the hands of the Bell family, Bradley Bell has hidden behind the family name for a long time now. He continually disappoints me as a writer. I don't know whether it is because he's just not that interested in the show or just lazy, but he has wasted SO much potential over the years and it truly frustrates me. Lesli Kay/Felicia is a natural to take over Stephanie's "meddling Forrester" role. She *is* her mother's daughter in so many ways. I always thought Sarah Buxton, Dax Griffin and even Sean Kanan (among many, many others) were criminally wasted. Remember hunky Grant Chambers who married Brooke and later Macy? He could have been a charismatic romantic lead, an alternative to Ridge.... Like I said: frustrating to watch.

I highlighted your fond memories of B&B because those were my fondest, too. I loved Carrie Mitchum's Donna and the fact that Brooke and Storm, as the elder siblings, held the Logans together (BTW, William DeVry was a GREAT Storm recast. Sigh). I totally remember innocent, smart, normal Brooke who was Caroline's friend as much as her rival for Ridge's affections. That frenemyship was explored in all its riveting complexities. It was only when Bradley Bell took over that characters were written in one-dimensional "Ridge = womaniser, Brooke = slut, Taylor = saint" templates, when Bill Bell's vision of those three was so much more complex and ambiguous than that.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know... I joined the SONY board in 2000, and people were complaiing right and left all the time. I did virutally nothing but defend the show, people were screaming for new writers at that time... and now see what we get? If people would have shut their mouth and left Kay Alden alone, then we might not have been in this situation. But i'm of the opinion that even if Bill Bell were still alive, people would still be complaining. Because some people just make a sport out of bitching.

• Members

Yes, Bradley Bell has wasted a lot of B&B's potential over the years. However, I don't chalk it up to laziness or disinterest. If anything, I think Bradley cares too much about his own show. It's just that he simply doesn't have the same gift for storytelling as his father did, and no one, least of all Bradley himself, has been willing to call him on it.

• Members

I always thought Bill created B&B as a simply a cash cow for his family and one where he wouldn't have to split the profits with 3rd parties.

I never felt Bill was very passionate about the show, as he was with Y&R. I guess its no surprised he "left" B&B much earlier, but was still more actively involved with Y&R until his health went downhill.

• Members

God! I'd forgotten about William Devry! Such a waist of a good actor and character! I share your frustration because this show has at its disposal all of the ingredients to make a powerhouse soap opera but as you said, they waist it. I tried to watch the show a few years back after Guiding Light was canceled. Due to my busy schedule, I don't have a lot of time to devote to an hour long soap so I thought I'd take on B&B because its only thirty minutes. Sadly, the show was so ridicolous I couldn't get into it. I too wonder about Bradley Bell. I wonder if he's just a bad writer or if he just doesn't give a damn. You would think he would want to honor his father's leagacy by making the show the best it could possibly be. Yes, I do remember Grant Chambers and how they wasted him. I love the way you described the nuances of Caroline and Brook's relationship. I remember how Brook was there for Caroline when Caroline was raped by Ron Deacon but how she later plotted with Thorne to keep a letter Ridge had written to Caroline. Too bad as you said the characters are now one dimensional and flat.

Archived