AMC: Confirmed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, everyone knows it's a major rewrite, but that doesn't change the fact that's it's also a huge stunt for ratings.

And I have a feeling more people will be disgusted rather than intrigued. I know I am (disgusted, that is). The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

• Members

Yeah, but it's different. We're talking about rewriting ERICA'S abortion (which was historical).

If they wrote this same story about, let's say, the baby that Julia aborted -- while still dumb -- it wouldn't be as awful.

Another World also had an abortion story, but they weren't even allowed to say the word and it was only hinted at. That's why I really consider AMC's to be the first. It was talked about in graphic detail -- with Erica knowing everything that was going to happen to the fetus. And of course she only did it for vain reasons (so she wouldn't get fat and loose her modeling job). This was the first main event that caused the whole "love to hate" attitude the audience had towards the character. Erica's abortion took place a few days after the Roe V. Wade decision was made. AMC's ratings rose from an 8.2 to a 9.1 from January to February 1973 due to the abortion story.

AWFUL.... SIMPLY AWFUL. Shame on you, Megan!

• Members

The only reason I sat through this mess was because the way that AMC was editing the show it seemed like Josh was David's I hoped for the longest time it was his. I was the first one who said that McTrash was gonna ruin that show Kendall was bad enough but Now Josh. That's two long losts for the Diva of Daytime. How many more does he have ;):( And to think AMC used to be a good show....... Used to be.

Stick a fork in AMC it think it's done <_<B)

• Members

Are you kidding? David...no way.

Anyway I'm going to stay out of all this...I wasn't watching in 1973 and really never knew about it until this storyline started and some assumed it'd be a re-write. I'm still happy Erica finally has a legit son - she's needed one.

OK i'm out!

• Members

Kendall's introduction in 1993 was very well done. That was a rewrite as well, but not as part of a legendary story.

I don't think AMC is done......yet. It's had really bad stories in the past (just look at Passanante's entire run), but I think McTavish either needs a co-writer (please, Lorraine Broderick) or she needs to be let go. Yeah, she probably needs to be let go. This "twist" reeks of desperation.

• Members

not to mention the fact that they didnt know how to do embryo transplants back than i remeber when erica had that abortion

i guess this is like how they rewrote vicki giving birth to jessica now she had twins NO WAY and that mitch is one of the dads

• Members

I know nothing about AMC but just want to step in and say, how does DAYS fit in to this? LOL, people use DAYS when they want to prop their show up and then when their show is doing something stupid they immediately say oh well DAYS does it... That's pretty silly IMO. DAYS and AMC are two different kind of soaps, is AMC trying to become like DAYS? Is Erica going to be possessed this summer? No, and I don't think it would ever happen either, LOL.

DAYS bringing back the character of Georgia is completely incomporable to what I am reading here. First of all, there is some plausibility to it. Anyone could have taken the baby away and given Billie a still born simulate. That was easy. She was on a DiMera plantation for heavans sake. Secondly, Georgia is by no means a historical character NOR was her death a historical event in DAYS history or daytime history. She wasn't aborted. Her return from the grave is as plausible as any other soap characters' IMO...

So whatever is happening with this Erica thing is not comparable IMO. And since I'm not an AMC fan I can't really say but it doesn't sound that bad... HA HA.

• Members

I think the Days argument is valid.

I agree about it being a different kind of soap but it set the standard for ridiculous, campy plot twists in the 90s.

Nobody can deny the correlation. Days did the Possession as a stunt to get out of the ratings quagmire and ever since, daytime has been doing that kind of 'anything goes' storytelling.

• Members

I think the days comparision is valid. It was the one storyline that was realistic and not too much fantsy too it. It was an important subject and was important to both the characters of Billie and Bo. The fact that they rewrote it is a big deal and it wasn't believeable and turned one of Day's most realistic storys into a circus. But that's what they usually do.

Soaps have always used crazy stuff. What about GH's alien, OLTL's twins with two seperate fathers one Clints the other's Mitch and that other one where they had the child switch mothers?

OLTL did a story on this years ago, when embryo transplants first became a reality. An embryo transplant was done from Rafe’s wife (forgot her name) who was in an accident (and subsequently died) to Deliah and she carried the child to term and gave birth to Rafe’s (and his wife’s) child.

Yes what AMC is doing and especially what Megan is doing is horriable. However it has been done before.

Archived