The Crucible

DAMfan

• Members

I have been working on a project for a class - The Crucible by Arthur Miller has anyone ever seen the play or movie, played a part in a production or worked on a crew for the play, or read the play? The Crucible came out in 1953 with a story about Salem Witch hunt in the 1600s, but do you know what it was really about?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've read it and seen the movie. Wasn't Aurthur Miller accused of being a Commie? I think he used witchcraft and the witchunts as the whole Red scare/black listing that was going on then. But don't quote me on that, it's been awhile. Haha.

• Members

I played Thomas Putnam in the play but studied it very deeply as it was the best-written play I've ever been a part of. It's rumored that a lot of it is a commentary on McCarthy-ism, which I don't quite understand, but Wikipedia may help you there.

The play is really about the ability of people to rally the troops and gang up on people that they deemed unusual or not part of the norm. The "witches" were all pretty much innocent, it was just that Abigail had this power over Mercy Lewis and Mary Warren and the rest of the girls to convince them to go along with her lies. All because John Proctor wouldn't continue their affair.

Mary Warren tries time & again to come clean about the whole thing, but it's actually her testimony, because she was the most sympathetic and believable of the girls, that actually convicted all if not most of the women.

There's also an undercurrent and sub-plot about what jealousy and affairs can do to a marriage, and how one bad choice that seems enjoyable at the time can blow up in your face and ruin your life.

IMO, the two greatest and most interesting characters in the show are Elizabeth Proctor and Reverend Hale.

Elizabeth because she's so layered, conflicted, bitter without being cold, and just all-around amazing.

Hale because he's the ONLY one who sees through what these bitches are doing and sees through most of them, and the only one with the guts to press on about it.

Finally, Giles Corey is an EXTREMELY entertaining supporting character, if cast right. And Rebecca Nurse is the heart and soul of the show and needs a certain type of actress to play that role because she carries a lot of weight, at least in the play.

But I LOVED my character, Putnam, because he's the only real male villain in the show and was just delicious to play. Everyone who saw the show said they absolutely hated me and wanted to strangle me at times. Those were the best compliments I could have gotten for that part.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived