DAYS: Another murder mystery?

• Members

Oh, I hate serial killer stories. While murder mysteries are these brainy tales where everyone wants to kill one specific person for predetermined reasons and we are given those reasons beforehand, serial killer stories are just mindless carnage where the killer can be anybody and the writer falls back on the lamest motive of all : insanity.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry, but DAYS jumped the shark when they had all the build up for the serial killer storyline, which was not bad. It was even getting mainstream press. Then it went off the charts when Marlena was revealed as killer. It was a HUGE mistake to reverse it. I have ZERO faith that anyone who is dead in Salem is really dead anymore. It's too bad.

As for soaps sticking to what they do best, ITA. However, when it came to weaving intricate murder mysteries - TEON rivaled any prime time show.

• Members

Perhaps (don't remember personally though I did watch the show), but that was at a time in television history where the audience expectations were much different and cop shows included Remington Steele.

The Salem Stalker was amazing because of its shock value and how it went after beloved vets. No matter what happens, they can't risk that move again - certainly not in the way it fizzled last time with Marlena being it. (Mind you, if this is Marlena again with "latent maniacal tendencies" going after whomever set John up, that would at least be slightly entertaining, but I don't know that there are enough DiMeras on the canvas. I'm good with anything that gets her off the canvas again).

• Members

IMO they shouldn't have brought her back in the first place. They have basically put every other person in the background with their need to make her their "core". And then everything they've done so far has been a repeat of stories already focused on her. Marlena/John sent me away from Days once, and they're about to do it again.

I'll never understand why a few actors in this industry get hyped way beyond their actual abilities, at the expense of those around them who get nothing but scraps.

• Members

You don't understand why the star of Days of Our Lives was brought back? Deidre/Marlena is extremely popular. She has always been the Susan Lucci of Days. Frankly, this show is only worth watching when Marlena is front and centre. Glad to have her back---I wouldn't be watching if John/Marlena and Carrie/Austin hadn't come back.

Guess I balance you out---I didn't watch those two and a half horrid years where Marlena was offscreen. Not worth my time.

• Members

The list is long of people who have been made "Stars" by the soap world who can't cut it anywhere else, and I'm exhausted by it. Lucci might only have done Made for TV Movies and a stint on Broadway, but at least she could do it. DH is definitely NOT the SL of Days. Marlena might be the Erica of Days, but the actors aren't in the same category.

I remember not quite 15 months ago how everyone was lauding the fact that those who'd been put on the back burner for years curtesy of the Marlena/John obsession, were finally being able to do their thing again. Sure the stories weren't everyone's favourite and some characterizations weren't to everyone's liking, but at least other vets were being brought out to work. Now within 6 months who's the hog and who's back on the shelf?

And don't get me wrong, Days isn't the only place where writers/fans fall into that trap. Other soaps have their issues too. The problem with Days is the sold it as the perfect fix to all the problems - and just made the show a pale copy of Days in the 90's. I watched it once - I've got no interest in a remake of that decade.

• Members

Who said anything about stars outside of daytime? Dee is the star of Days. She is as popular to Days as Susan was to AMC. Remember when they seemingly killed her off in the 80s and the fans FLIPPED?! And frankly, it's a little insulting that you claim she's not talented. Dee is the best actress over 50 on this show, and Days was lucky to get her back.

Marlena and John are a popular couple. That's a fact. They aren't stealing airtime from anyone. John and Marlena DESERVE that airtime, especially when we have 2.5 lost years to make up for! Anyone who's "on the shelf" deserves to be there because they were never really that popular in the first place. They were just filling in for Marlena.

• Members

Funny, a remake of the 90s is the ONLY reason I have decided to watch Days again. That was this show's best era, and it makes sense to try to recapture its greatness. When it comes to soaps, I don't want to see something "new" or "radical". Tradition and supercouples win out over all. That's what Days is and always should be.

• Members

But even you must admit they aren't actually remaking the 90s. Yes, the most popular supercouples of the 90s are back, but the show itself is nothing like it was in the 90s. The current stories, if you can call them that, are all character-driven and boring. Days was exciting and on fire when Jim Reilly wrote the show. I expected a lot more from his proteges. But at least my faves are back, so I can't complain too hard.

• Members

There are a lot of people who liked Days once the airhogs left. Not only did ratings not suffer they rose for 2 years without them. But DOOL fell on the same thing they are doing now nostalgia or repeat. ej/sami/nicole/rafe were interesting the first time but not the second time. Carly came back to what? Vivian tormenting her and to be thrown in the center of Bo/Hope. Predictable stuff just like whats on now. Jennifer round 30430 in the center of a triangle, Billie coming on to again be thrown in the middle of Bo and Hope The only remotely interesting stuff is wills story and the potential story with Abby and Austin

And Brendas failed return at GH and bringing back Jonathan Jackson as Lucky should tell folks its story not stars most watch for Y&R and their stunt casting should be the largest example of this.

Archived