OLTL: Wednesday January 11, 2012

• Members

Miss Luna asked me to remind y'all that the second B in her name is capitalized: BarBara. Don't sleep. tongue.png

I was wondering if Ford's death was some sort of Carlivatian mea culpa. It's kind of curious to me that a character so propped, the most propped in recent times would be the one to get killed off at show's end. I remember the actor stating that he wouldn't be joining pp before the venture fell through, so I wonder if Ford's death had already been planned or if he simply set his sight on other things and declined to continue. I kind of doubt that last one but I wonder. Then again, I don't know how much of the whole Ford thing came from RC himself or was encouraged by FV or higher ups.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am all for feeling nostalgic, Eric.. but that is exactly what I feel is lacking from the last 2 days of OLTL episodes. Where are the scenes with 8-9 current and former cast members together talking about old times? Where are those heart felt reunions that pull at your every heart string. I have not cried once in the last two days.

Just comparing to AMC's last Wednesday episode, the Martin Family reunion, I was in tears and egg shells the whole time! Everytime the characters saw a character from their past (Maria! Ruth! Joe!)... leading up to Tad seeing Jamie again for the first time and saying something along the lines of, "How lucky can one guy be?" Then we had the Stuart reveal that just drove the rest of the week... leaving me wanting, wishing that a Monday episode was around the corner.

In this case, going back to RC's decision to use a longer fast-forward, we have three characters in the hospital (Bo, Clint, Vicki). They are the vets that could have facilitated those reunions (A Buchanan family get together? Where are Vicki's boys?). I get the current cast needs closure as well, but to have 1/2 your episodes dedicated to recurring players with less than 6 months on canvas (e.g., Neela, Vivianne), this a finale week does not make. This may have not been the finale they intended, but it was still the last known week of OLTL on network TV.

Also, if they wanted to make the viewers move online with a suspenseful story, why has one not taken a more prominent role this week. Are we still supposed to be in suspense about who killed Victor? That whole storyline is coming off on the B-side for me.

• Members

I know how Todd has his own kid to worry about but I find it strange that he hasn't visited his champion supporter in Viki, at the hospital. Nor has he mentioned the death of his favorite niece's spouse..Or the fact that Mitch Lawrence was around...

• Members

Tuesday's episode was disappointing, Wednesday's episode was boring. And lousy.

Too many scenes with characters we just don't care about enough to dominate during the final week. Destiny (and that bad actress) should have been dealt with last week or earlier. Same with Shaun and Viv, who no one really gives a rat's ass about. Starr possibly going off with skeevy Rick? Kill me now and light me on fire. Just horrible.

I was bored out of my face for most of the episode. It was as if the writers turned over an entire script to someone who'd been watching the show for only a mont and had no idea that it was ending.

• Members

Steve, I've been a fan of OL since '99 when AW went off the air, so I never saw OL in its glory days. I do think the show has missed some aspects with the finale and should have completely ignored PP even if the show was going to continue. The show should have been wrapped anyway for those that would not have followed online.

I don't feel, however, that this has been the worst finale week for a show. Yes, Tues/Weds were slow, but it addressed some couples. Monday was great and I thought today (Thurs) was a really well done show! To say it's been the worst? No. I felt AW, even as much as I loved that show, had a far worse finale week. They didn't really wrap anything until the last set of scenes. Literally! At least I feel like I know what will happen with some of OL's characters now.

And Capitol? Didn't they leave it with a MAJOR cliffhanger? One being a gun pointed at someone? Just like J.R.'s 'gunshot' of sorts with AMC? Yes, OL will probably have a cliffhanger too, mostly because of PP, but I still thought today's ep was good for Rex's family and Starr at least.

• Members

Based on RC writing two stories about how sex with a mentally ill woman who doesn't know who she is must be love and must be about how noble and special the man is, I think that it was probably RC's idea. Bringing in brothers may have been ABC's idea.

If they knew David Gregory wasn't going on to PP then I can see RC deciding to kill him off heroically, and having various non-actors mourn his loss. It reminds me a little of when JFP addressed criticism of her Rappaports by having Grace die for a week.

I thought most of AW's characters had found closure and happiness in their last week.

I don't mind loose ends - I mostly mind that so many characters have been badly written in the first place, to the point where I don't care about 50-75% of the characters left on the show.

• Members

It's still the worst I've ever seen. I didn't watch the end of Another World or Capitol, but compared to Ryan's Hope, Guiding Light, As the World Turns and All My Children, all those shows at least tried to bring back the families by the end and wrapped up most of their stories. OLTL just doesn't compare.

Archived