SPECIAL FAREWELL ISSUE for OLTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes!!!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see no point in the existence of SID anyway. I'm guessing their original purpose was so fans could read about their favorite network,instead of having to get something with info with 10+ soaps, but with only four left I don't see why it would be a big deal when SOD/SOW cover so few shows.

• Members

I'm actually in Victoria--on Vancouver Island so sometimes we get things slow, plus there was snow all last week which is so rare here it shuts things down (including the ferry boats due to wind as well) maybe I should wait a few more days, or... How many copies were there? PM me and I can reimburse you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

FINALLY got my copy of this, thanks to Dale telling me it showed up in Edmonton, and my sister living there and picking up one and finally mailing it. (I never fully trust my sister, so continued looking here with no luck, I don't think it showed up anywhere in the city or Vancouver).

For the record SOD/SOW are idiots. I called both the 1-800 number somone listed here where they had read to order more issues from, and SOD's lines direct and both times had different people tell me the same thing: that they didn't sell direct to any sites like Amazon, and that these special issues were impossible to order over the phone, and both suggested I try ebay (it almost makes me think that they just sell most of their issues at huge profit on ebay...) In the current magazine era, when it seemed even many magazine stores never picked up these "special issues", it makes me wonder why they think they'd have any success selling them without some other buying option.

Anyway, I hate to raise the AMC vs OLTL debate yet again, but they did really cheap out compared to the AMC volumes. Slightly due to size (there are maybe 20 less pages, and the volumes is slightly less big in hight and width--which isn't an issue), but much more disappointingly in terms of paper quality--the cover and the pages are virtually the same as a normal magazine, very thin and bendable despite an actual "spine" and not staples like most magazines. AMC's really felt almost like a paperback picture book--the covers are on much thicker stock, and the inside pages are too. So that's disappointing, but beyond the regular conspiracy theory I could chalk it up to the AMC issue not selling as well as they had hoped (which wouldn't surprise me seeing as I really liked out in finding it--in other words it was almost as obscure as this one and I doubt many casual fans knew of either--and that with AMC the People issue--which was also sold in hardback online--was MUCH more publicized). As well, while the AMC issue already seemed to make a point that perhaps AMC wouldn't continue online, perhaps due to the fact that if it would, there would be a signifant wait, the OLTL issue almost seems like it was rushed--there's no page length editor's letter, instead just a tiny box saying that since it went to press they discovered the future of the show probably wouldn't continue...

That said, it's still great to have. I guess I feel, already, so nostalgic for both these shows, I'm just glad to have something that documents the end of the run--as mixed a bag (for both soaps) as it was. I've only read about a half of it so far, but the interviews, like with the AMC volume, are surprisingly candid compared to the current SOD/SOW style where nobody says an ill word, also tons of great photos, and a few interesting tidbits (I was glad to see a few actors, like HBS giving props to Josh Griffith for some of her writing when usually Malone--who deserves it but not all of it--gets sole credit, I was also interested to hear Nixon wanted Paul Rauch, according to him anyway, to be a part of OLTL at the start and that they worked closely at GLin the 60s).

Actually I liked that they interviewed both RC and FV (which I expected--I was a bit surprised to read Agnes say how much she loves FV, though at least it wasn't RC she said that about ;) ), as well as past big names like Malone and Rauch--I wish the AMC issue had done that. I'm sure McTavish would have agreed to an interview, and I know Lorraine Broderick apparently HATES doing interviews, but something would have been nice. I was disappointed in the Nixon interview that they didn't bring up (politely of course) if she had any feelings about leaving OLTL in the 70s, or the various directions it took after her--knowing Agnes Nixon she wouldn't have said much controversial about the subject anyway, but it would have been interesting to read her say SOMETHING about the subject, even in her overly polte manner.

Anyway, I shouldn't complain--I look forward to reading it more, and it's GREAT to have--and makes me miss the show all the more (I think it really is the one/two combo of AMC/OLTL being dead that only hit me when OLTL finished). I've been watching GH the past week, and I have to say, having loved Anna on AMC during her time, it was great to see her today as tiny as her scenes were it actually made me miss those shows all the more.

• Members

I'd be interested to hear what you think of them. By no means are they as candid as I'd like--but the interviews actually ARE (in both cases) much more candid than you'd expect anything with the SOD/SOW name attached to it to be from the past 20 years. Also would be curious to hear if you agree with me that the OLTL one seemed a bit of an afterthought (I swear, I'm not trying to keep the AMC/OLTL rivalry eternally alive).

Archived