GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

I am enjoying GL DVD more than ATWT and i think I am the biggest ATWT fan. I think the reason is because I have seen ATWT episodes like a million times during it original run on CBS. I really stopped watching the GL ones. So they are more new to me....I hope we get more ATWT and GL DVD releases soon.

Just finished watching the 50th anniversary show and it was ok. It had a lot filler stuff. I thought the ending tribute to CB was the best part. I thought she had passed away later and not in 87. She sure was the heart of Guiding Light. I've got to say that Grant Aleksander sure could teach Chandler Massey a thing or two about bigger pecs.....lol.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It woks as a standalone episode (and in fact, it was the catalyst of Ross choosing Blake over his political aspirations, so it had some bigger implications).

Though, I could see how out of context it would be deemed unnecessary when so much other stuff from that era and other eras could have been included.

• Members

Hey Dan havent talked to you in ages on AIM...lol

The episode isnt my cup of tea. The Reva episode following is about the same....I think the best dvd on the set will be the vixens one....followed by the secrets dvd then the wedding dvd

• Members

After seeing the episodes from 81-89 I see now what a great soap GL once was. The 92/93 JFP years were duds....the show was still ok but not that great....now that I look back I thought the same thing in 92/93. The only time I really felt energized about GL was during the Annie Dutton years. Of course JFP run was better than the Ellen Weston era and Ellen Wheeler cry me a river years.

• Members

For me the early 90s were great due to the actors, there were some times in the 80s that were awful too (not that I was watching, but when you watch the 1987 event at MTR aka Paley and there is an apology offered about the recent quality of the show and saying thanks for sticking with us I think that says something.) The election day episode had mixed reactions years ago, but I understand why it was chosen for the larger ramifications. I was surprised they put that on the Springfield through the years disk, and would have had it on scandals as that's what the story was. The 15,000 episode didn't really tell me anything about Reva, but the nightmare at least gave some insight into Ross (of course the whole Ross sees AM naked in his dreams was very bizarre, but I digress.)

• Members

Beth Ehlers is probably the most down to earth soap star I've ever interviewed, and the most non-STAR I've ever encountered. No idea what happened at the end of GL with her. The show changed themes every few years with actors and characters always getting lost in the shuffle in one way or another. The bad recasted Mindys are a great example.

I loved a lot of the 80s but by 1987 a lot had changed and it wasn't as consistently entertaining for me as it was 80-85. With a new head writer every few years it was probably impossible to keep a consistent feel. If Jane Elliot hadn't be axed causing Doug Marland to quit, would he have stayed longer? Would that have kept the Reardons front and center longer? Would we even have had a Reva or the Four Musketeers? Or what if the Dobsons had stayed longer? GL could have gone in so many different directions.

If there are any Morgan fans, I posted my interview with Kristen Vigard this week http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/01/kristenvigard.html She's focused on her music in recent decades along with being a mommy.

• Members

He became obsessed with Beth, killed some guy who was causing problems for her and Lujack, and let India stand trial (I think he was fine with Lujack going down too). He finally went totally nuts and the police had to be called in.

Thank you for the interview with Kristen Vigard. There is something so offbeat in her work as Morgan, and so counter to the cliched idea of ingenues. I'm sorry she didn't stay at GL longer.

• Members

I finally decided to start this set last night! I started with the disc that includes Annie's downfall, which was the first (and only) episode I've watched so far. I figured I might as well start with the characters that I'm already familiar with, but during a period I'm not familiar with. I've heard so much about Annie and I have to say that I was definitely intrigued. I can't picture Signy Coleman in this role at all! Such a shift from the virginal Hope on Y&R. I'm going to have to YouTube and see the comparison. I thought Kim Zimmer looked SMASHING in this episode! By the time I started watching she was already on the heavier side so I was shocked by her dress and how fabulous she looked.

The wedding was very well produced with so many extras and the outfits were amazing. I also loved the sets featured in this episode. GL always seemed to have such a strong look pre-Wheeler. I think thats why I was always so hard on her producing even pre-Peapack. Can somebody tell me who was HW/EP at this time?

• Members

Pretty sure Rauch was EP during Annie's reign of terror lol, not sure who the HW was.

RE Vigard, I liked her as Morgan but thought Morgan and Kelly were a bore lol. The 3 popular ingenues/young heroines of the 80's on GL were played by "non traditional" actresses imo, KV, JE and BE were very different from the a typical actresses that played the young heroines of the soap.

Archived