Great writers, bad stories?

• Members

You know...I love Claire. But this...this is the stuff of parody.

Thanks again Carl for your amazing info. I can't believe at the age of 25 I've managed to miss almost all of soaps' greatest years (and as evidenced by this, some of the greatest turkeys as well).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Or what about her brief run at OLTL? Some good stuff initially, but while she wasn't given much of a chance on the show, I don't see her era being written as it is because of interference...If she hadn't been so strong at GH (did she write with her son there?) I would wonder if she works best with the unsung Avila... A bit like Malone and Griffith (at least their first run--the stuff was only mildly better the second run when Griffith was there before he left due to Frons)

HA isn't that the miniseries that Mister Daytime Confidential brought back up in his tweets to prove to Vincent that he was his number one fan?

Yeah the only defence I could have is this somehow has to do with that second body cliffhanger for PP? But really that could hardly explain most of it.

• Members

To this day, I'd like to know whether the wrong turns taken with Tom Desmond were the result of uncertainty about the character or actor, increasing network interference, or the combination of the two. It's one of those times when you can literally feel a story falling apart before your very eyes.

• Members

Frankly, Claire Labine came along in this business about 25 years too late. Her brand of simple, character-driven writing would have been much more successful on the early TV soaps (there's a reason why she & Paul Avila Mayer worked so well on LOVE OF LIFE) or even on radio.

• Members

I know people thought Lemay really started to lose it his last year or so at AW--not all his fault but he did suddenly rely on the soap staples he had worked SO hard to avoid (and been so outspoken about)--like court trials, etc. It also sounds like he never really figured out how to start his own soap with Friends and Lovers as much as I wanna see it (and it only got 6 months). Didn't people think his very brief AW return didn't do much? And I didn't get a sense that when he later was at AW as consultant or at ABC as consultant he did much either, though those consultant positions can be fishy--I get the feeling when someone is listed as creative consultant more often than not they don't get listened to anyway...

He also had a tendency, I get the feeling, as many HWs do, to want to focus more around his own creations--and of course he thought that some fan faves were "too soapy" and let them go, mostly NOT to the show's benefit.

• Members

I remember watching that miniseries when it aired in the fall of 1990. The highlight was Eric Braeden using his natural German accent when he was playing a character that was so obviously based on Aristotle Onassis. Like the producers didn't think the audience could tell apart a German accent from a Greek accent.

• Members

I think she felt she had valid reasons which were going to help the show. She thought the Dan/Susan/Liz/Paul story was disgusting. I think she felt the moral tone of the show had gone to pieces. Of course she then went wild with bringing Kim in and upending the entire moral fabric by having Bob cheat.

The only Irna story of that time which I just do not get at all is Lisa's phantom pregnancy.

Archived