Soap Couples and Their Sacrificial Lambs

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree that the Cole retcon was terrible & really hurt the story but I never had a problem with Ryan.

He was a serial cheater but Scott Reeves kept him likable enough & not to defend his cheating but by the time Ryan started falling for Tricia his marriage was already in a LOT of trouble.

It was always clear that Nina wasn't going anywhere & in fact that story helped make Nina a serious fan favorite (more than she already was).

• Members

Most of the characters thrown under the following couples bus ended up getting more popular by accident.

Ryan and Greenlee...

Ryan

Greenlee

Kendall

Annie

Aidan

Madison

David. Well, one could call his actions in character.

Tad and Dixie...

Brooke and Adam

Brooke and Edmund

Brian and Hayley

David. Well, one could call his actions in character.

I won't count Erica and David and Zach and Kendall as that was more per Cady's requests and not for Tad & Dixie.

• Members

JR is the king of being trashed for other couples. He was even trashed for couples he really had no business being involved with ( like the whole STD nonsense with Jake and Amanda)

I'm still fuming over JR being trashed for that worthless couple Marissa and Bianca.

• Members

But even as the villianess ( like Nikki was during the beginning of the A/V/N triangle) her and Phillip were propped as the be all end all couple that Harley couldnt compete with. Phillip and Harley's entire story for the most part was about Beth; Beth coming back, Beth abd Ben Warren, Beth and her past with the Abuser, Beth and Jim Lemay, Beth and Phillip sleeping together, Beth being pregnant (which I think ended them as a couple. I remember they had India, Blake, Mindy, and Harley all talking about Phillip, Beth was there too and all four of the women admitted that their marriages to Phillip never had a chance because of his love for Beth.

Courtney

• Members

Probably no character was trashed more than Julia Lindsay on ATWT. She started out as a fun, if flaky, character, whose biggest problem was that a rich prince wanted to marry her. Once she got involved with the Toxic Twosome (Jack and Carly), she went from Jake McKinnon's fun-loving reporter sidekick to a shrill, pill-popping psycho harpy who (among other misdeeds) tried to push Carly into quicksand, killed a horse, raped Jack Snyder, and shot a round of ammo into a dead corpse at the viewing.

And don't get me started on sacrificial lamb Damian Grimaldi. The ATWT audience threw TPTB a curve when they preferred the Maltese Hunk to perennial hero Holden Snyder. Paolo and Martha made the show must-see and exciting, so what does the show do? Make Damian a raging homophobe and have him chear on Lily with Meg (even though he never looked at another woman all during the Martha Byrne years). I hated what they did to this once-great romance.

• Members

Julia was such a mess of a character all along. She'd been a pill-popping victim of Reid for months and months before they had her as Jake's scrappy rival/sidekick. Then Sheffer made her into a lunatic and everyone went wild over her.

• Members

****disclaimer: I'm a Carjack shipper*******

Julia Lindsay was a flake because TIIC had no other way to make her even semi-interesting on her own. The only interesting thing about her was her mother, played to perfection by Susan Pratt. And that only lasted a month. She became "Jake's flaky sidekick" (without one journalism credential, btw) because TIIC were ready to send her boring ass outta town otherwise. Had not Maura gotten pregnant in '99, Julia probably never would have been back in Jack's orbit, and gone crazy-assed nuts on her own. Ugh...I'll never get the creepy dead-eyed sacrificial "I'm sleeping with the devil for a noble cause" look she had after humping R/avid.

We need to start a topic, 'cause I wanna know if any other couple got thrown under the bus like Carjack did for Katie's sake. Ugh...I still hate that blonde twit. Although honestly, I think Jack cheating on Katie a week after their wedding is one of the GREATEST moments in daytime hhhhhiiisssttttoooorrrrryyyyy!!!!!!

Archived