Young and the Restless Headwriters

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She ruined them. She used them in ways that made absolutely no sense.

Nikki running for Senate? Victor loving Sabrina more than any of his wives? Dru strangling Carmen? Brad & The Reliquary? Jack marrying Sharon? Neil & Lily's paternity? Katherine the businesswoman? Ashley being banished to B&B? Amber? The Baldwin Fishers & Cane eating the show? Clear Springs?

The amount of damage she did is insane.

Jill & Ji Min were solid (if somewhat contrived) until Y&R fired Eric Steinberg.

Katherine basically sat on the backburner (when not acting like an idiot at Jabot) until Maria arrived.

• Members

Bill was using her to establish The Dennisons. He was bringing on a whole new family & using her as the anchor. Unfortunately other issues (his health, Jess & Granville having little chemistry, etc) were the real issues.

Billy/Mackenzie was all Alden.

• Members

I definitely agree with you about Latham (although I think she was right to phase Ashley out - I think the character ran out of story a long time ago). I was just wondering what you thought she did to Katharine and Jill.

I remember Jess won an Emmy around the time of her backburner period, for her work in the Who Shot Victor? story. I guess Bill Bell did at least always keep the character's integrity.

• Members

Using Jill to anchor a new family onto the Y&R canvas would have been awesome. It connects them to the show's roots while infusing the stories with "new blood." Not exactly my ideal reconfiguration of Y&R (w/ the Brookses & Fosters returning gradually and reconnecting with the Abbotts, Newmans and others in ways that would make sense) but probably the next best thing.

I'm not trying to make you look bad, DeeeDee. Actually, I was thinking I had it wrong and that Victor and Sabrina began w/ Latham.

Victor's epilepsy. Good God. That [!@#$%^&*] doesn't work even on paper.

• Members

See it was a bad move to banish Ashley. The problem with Ashley isn't lack of story. It's using her as a mindless Victor prop (especially since Ashley should have been DONE with Victor after Robert's death).

Turned them into idiot Gloria & Cane fans (when not leaving them on the backburner).

If ANY two characters should immediately know a self involved, money grubbing social climber it's Katherine & Jill yet Gloria (and Amber) somehow got a free pass.

And their mutual love of Cane? Ugh.

Exactly.

She had just finished two huge stories with an Emmy win when Bill chose her to anchor his new family so Jill wasn't really hurting for lack of story.

As did Jess.

• Members

Actually wasn't Josh Griffith responsible for a lot of what went down the first half of 2008 which lead to MAB screaming he was abusing his power to rewrite stories and scenes leading to Griffith's firing? Or so the story goes, cause then after Griffith left we had that nice little upswing aka honeymoon period aka fool's gold for MAB&Co. (July 2008-May 2009)

I think the main two problems of the Dennisons was 1. There wasn't any chemistry between Jess Walton and Granville Van Dusen 2. There was a lot of criticism over it repeating some of the story of Jill marrying into the Abbotts. Still the Dennison sisters managed to get a lot of mileage in for the five years they were on and the stories even at their worst were still passable.

Archived