Most miscast soap roles

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PSM's Fallon was pretty boring and weak by her final season of Dynasty. Really she was only great in the first 2 seasons but the minute they brought on Joan Collins to be the main bitch, her Fallon started to lose her spark. IA with Carl; Emma didnt get decent material till her final season

Now you wanna talk about miscast? The Amanda recast was the worst one in Dynasty history. Now she was just all shades of wrong

• Members

I really don't think it had anything to do with Alexis' arrival (Fallon was a strong, fun, complicated, multi-dimensional character throughout season all of season 2) but with the fact that the writing tanked so horribly. The best way I can put it is that Fallon was neutered. She made up with Kwythtl, supported daddy, and became nice, stopped the sarcastic remarks and it all went downhill. Season 4 Fallon was just... painful.

• Members

I hated everytime they reunited Fallon with Jeff because John James was duller than dishwater. Sure he was purty, but the only time I ever liked him was when he was fooling around with Sammy Jo. Emma had to have watched some of PSM's early Fallon because she really did improve the final year and a half of Dynasty. Her pairing with the cop reminded me of Fallon's fling with Michael the driver.

• Members

I think Harriet Hall was probably younger than Julia Barr??? She seemed like she may have been 20ish on Somerset??

I did not realize Cliff had two sisters. I loved Amy Steel in the Friday the 13th Part Two. To me, Steel should have been Beth Raines on GL. I think she could have brough a hell of a lot more to that part than Judi Evans or Beth Chamberlain. She had that Mary Sue sweetness and fierceness. Remember when Trudy punched out Nola?

• Members

Oh, I'm not saying she was a good recast at all. Those scenes, I took it that she was directed to play daffy-duck nuts, and was very wild with it.... There are some scenes toward the end of HS's run, on YouTube, where she's on a rampage to ruin PVPD in the press and make Marian Colby pay for nearly allowing Daisy to go to prison - one where she goes to the jailhouse to confront (and kill?) Marian. Those were what I was referring to when I said I thought she was getting more comfortable.. I thought she did well enough with that material, as self-centered and cunning seemed to come naturally to her (though not very Nina-like at all!). She was terrible uneven: playing crazy definitely didn't suit her, as we got to see again when she went gunning for Donna... I guess the point of my last post is that I felt Nina drifted even more off-course with Stanford's successor, Barbara Kearns... that if they were going to take yet another risky recast with an unproven newbie, why not just keep Stanford for the time being or write Nina out altogether...

• Members

I totally agree. I didn't think that Samms was a seamless successor to PSM, but I thought she perfectly fit the template of what Fallon was supposed to be - and certainly resembled the daughter of Blake and Alexis. But the writing, particularly on The Colbys, seemed so intent on reinventing Fallon as a heroine that needed rescuing from Jeff. Only toward the end of the series run did someone finally ask, "what the hell happened to Fallon in these scripts?" Samms proved, particularly in the final season (anyone remember her tryst with Jeff in the first episode, where she avoids Sammy Jo & playfully sneaks into the laundry room in her slinky teddy to get her clothes back on?) that she as an actress had been right for Fallon all along. Not an imitation of PSM's version, but her own take on recapturing the essence of Fallon. She looked like she was having more fun than she ever had, too.

• Members

Emma Samms really brought Fallon home in that final season. I don't think she was nearly as good a Fallon as PSM, and had TPTB gone out and gotten Pamela back I think the fans would have been ecstatic. But at least when Emma was finally given a chance, she showed that she could deliver. Fallon on the Colbys was a completely different character.

Archived