GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It is nuts to read this recap from forty years ago and then think of the proverbial hoops that subsequent writers went through to retcon Drew and Franco's existence. 

In 1981 Scotty is in Mexico and Heather is around the entire time, (and being uncharacteristically nice to Rose), so she's definitely not hiding a pregnancy.  Then, Alan goes to see Susan right after Jason's birth and wants to marry her, so there would be no reason for her to hide the fact that she had given birth to twins.  And, there is little to no communication between Heather and Susan while she is away having Jason.

The only other detail I don't quite understand was Lila's devastation over Alexandra's death.  I know Lila was kind and compassionate, but she hardly knew Alexandra, who was from Edward's side of the family.  So, she took it kind of hard considering that their prior relationship was barely established on the show. 

It is also fun to recall the seasonal nature of stories.  Summers were for romantic adventures and winters would bring murder mysteries.  There is also a great balance between stories, so we get the craziness of carbonic snow at the same time that we got traditional divorce drama (although it seems like they backburnered the Diana Taylor murder for a long time).  I am eager to read the lead up to Jimmy Lee as well as Monica getting ownership of the mansion.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Yeah it's a bit strange. All of a sudden Lila's like "Her mother died so young", "She reminded me of Tracy", implying a surrogate mother-daughter type relationship but they didn't seem really close before. They did have a few scenes together during the auction dramas but that was more Alex trying to manipulate Lila to get her hands on the statue rather than an attempt to show a close bond.

Oh I forgot to mention that Joe and Heather had another "Summer Madness" moment so it's pretty much established that that was their song - or rather instrumental, which I do get a kick out of considering the TikTok trend.

It was also surprising how central General Hospital was to the climax of the Ice Princess plot, I mean the stuff on the island was silly but the hospital stuff was top notch civil defense and medical drama for a 1980s Daytime soap.

• Members

In the 1971 ep

Emily MacLaughlin as Jessie Taylor RN.

So weird to see that name. Jessie went back to Brewer. Was this because her marriage to Peter was invalid because Phil was alive?

In later years it seemed that Peter and Jessie had a professional relationship. Was the marriage pretty much forgotten?

• Members

i have rewatched some May to July 2016 episodes when Tyler left his role of Nikolas and Nick Stabile took over for a month.

I wonder why the producers didn't reconsider to bring back Stabile when the contract dispute fell through with Tyler? I really enjoyed Stabiles stint and could've lived with him on a permanent basis.

• Members

I think NS was okay.  I think his work looked better because Tyler had been phoning it in for so many years at that point.  Whether it was personal issues or boredom, TC didn't seem like he gave a [!@#$%^&*] about Nik or GH.  So in comparison, NS was a breath of fresh air.  I don't really like MC or his Nik, so I probably would be fine with NS, but he's nothing great. 

• Members

It used to be brought up a lot that his medical knowledge helped him be an accurate killer.  He had access to that information still.  Alan was particularly upset about that on more than one occasion. And he didn’t start as Sonny’s sniper enforcer like he is now.  It happened over time.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I don't mean to pile on with too many responses to a simple query, but I always interpreted it that Jason's lack of emotional remorse due to his brain damage is what made him a good contract killer.  He didn't possess any special skills in shooting, fighting, or aiming, but he also never faced any trauma over killing his enemies, because the injury to his amygdala eradicated those thoughts (not factual, but an interesting creative choice).  So, while his peers might take pause over killing a guy who was older, or a father, someone's loved one, Jason could do it without regret.

Of course, the silly part of that writing choice is that an injury to the amygdala would blunt all emotion, but Jason was somehow still able to express smouldering anger with his trademark blue-steel-stare.

Edited by j swift

• Members

That makes sense @j swift

With Gene Francis supposed to return soon, it has me wondering why there constantly seems to be issues with her staying around long term.

Laura's the most iconic female charachter in GH history but always appears to be in an on and off capacity.

I understand in the 80s, 90s, and 2002 there was some behind the scenes drama that lead to her various departures. I would think the show leadership would try to do better by the charachter and actress that helped put them on the map.

Edited by ironlion