GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Jill was the daughter of Dr Adam Streeter (Brett Halsey). She was manipulative and jealous of her father's attraction to Dr Gina Dante.

From 75, when the Dobsons left until Marland's arrival in late 77, the show went through several headwriters and there were a lot of changes.

However, Rick and Jeff Webber , Heather, Monica,and Laura were established amongst others in that time.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Edward's cousin was Herbert. Herbert's son was Quentin. Quentin was Celia's father. They never really explained Alexandria's familial tie, other than she was Alan's cousin. She could have been Edward's niece by a never named brother, or she called him "Uncle" even though she was from Herbert's branch, like Celia did.

• Members

Thank you, I'm always impressed by the depth of your soap knowledge.

I recall dialogue when Celia first moved to Port Charles that they specified she was a second cousin.  I guess writers were setting the groundwork to pardon Celia and Jimmy Lee of any inappropriate familial intimacy.  BTW, even if I had a mansion I don't think I would want my second cousin to move in for more than a year.    

• Members

Aside from bringing AJ back (again) there's still Brooke Lyn, Dillon, Skye and Lila Rae, Jimmy Lee's kids (Jonah {his wife Charity's son} and Rebecca),, the Wards (Maya, Zoe, Unknown kids of Justus), and any kids of Celia's. The Q's don't have to be decimated, it's the Guza/JFP/ValenVarni's that showed zero respect to the major families.

• Members

When did the show decide the Q’s had been in Port Charles all along?  I know the house wasn’t just invented for Alan to give to Monica, there seems to be some history there for the family.  I just get confused.  Alan arrived on the show first, but was the rest of the family there and just not seen?

There was a real chance when they brought AJ back, and Tracy was still there that Celia could have been brought back with kids that could have integrated well.  Now, with just Monica, it would be a harder sell for me.  Another waste of Jane before she retired.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Leslie Charleston was re-cast as Monica in 1977, and I think Monica and Alan were already married when Tracy, Lila, and Edward debuted in the summer of 1978.  One reason there has never been a flashback to Alan and Monica's wedding is that the bride had a different face at the time of her wedding.

However, the origins of the Quartermaine Estate seem to have been re-written over time.  A 1978 weekly summary on Tumblr and Soap Central both report that Lila and Edward followed Alan from Southhampton to Port Charles and bought their estate.  However, by 1980, during the Dr's separation, it was established that Alan gave Monica the deed to the house as a wedding gift, so the estate would have to be owned by the family prior to 1977.  I think the carriage house was introduced with Susan around 1981, and then inherited by Heather, and passed onto Celia once she married Grant.  I also know that the mansion got a re-do in 1990, right before Gloria Monty returned, and the entry was redesigned.   If I were re-writing, I would suggest that their summer estate was in Southhampton (like Palmer Courtland) and they spent the rest of their time in Port Charles

The answer, of course, is that there were several head writer changes between 1977 and 1980.  However, ever since Susan Moore's murder it has been in the cannon that the Quartermaines are longtime residents.  As evidenced by (a) Lila's ex-husband Crane Tolliver came to Port Charles expecting to find Lila, which would not make sense if she grew up somewhere else, (b) when Tracey brought Mitch home there was some dialogue about redecorating her childhood bedroom, (c) ELQ was always headquartered in Port Charles because it was established as an import business before it became a shipping/manufacturing/makeup/medical supply/music and pickle company, and (d) they have a family crypt on the estate which is not something you bring with you when you move.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Thanks for the info. 

It’s kind of like the Spencer’s.  I do not remember them being such long-standing Port Charles residents.  When Luke and Laura came back in the 90’s, the feeling was Laura was home.  Not Luke.  Not that Luke was a character to spend much time in reflection.  But I don’t remember Bobbie talking about a childhood there either.  Just with Ruby and that was in Florida if I remember correctly.