GH: Classic Thread

• Members

The following (marked as being from TV Guide/Newspapers) I have posted here before.  But to keep better flow, I am reposting them followed by more from the episode summaries.

--> From TV Guide - Monday, March 1, 1965: Steve and Audrey return from their honeymoon. 

--> From TV Guide - Tuesday, March 2, 1965: Angie decides about her baby. 

--> From TV Guide - Wednesday, March 3, 1965: Steve faces a difficult task. 

--> From TV Guide - Thursday, March 4, 1965: Steve and Jessie try to help Angie. 

--> From TV Guide - Friday, March 5, 1965: Steve tries to help Eddie. 

--> From TV Guide - Monday, March 8, 1965: Jessie helps Angie make a decision. 

--> From TV Guide - Tuesday, March 9, 1965: Phil has serious thoughts about Bob. 

--> From TV Guide - Wednesday, March 10, 1965: Phil gives Angie advice. 

--> From TV Guide - Thursday, March 11, 1965: Steve talks to Phil about his position at the hospital. 

--> From TV Guide - Friday, March 12, 1965: Angie makes a discovery. 

--> From TV Guide - Monday, March 15, 1965: Steve discharges Angie from the hospital. 

--> From TV Guide - Tuesday, March 16, 1965: Phil Brewer has a confrontation with Jessie. 

--> From TV Guide - Wednesday, March 17, 1965: Steve offers Phil advice. 

--> From TV Guide - Thursday, March 18, 1965: Lee makes a request of Jessie. 

--> From TV Guide - Friday, March 19, 1965: Phil has news for Jessie. 

--> From TV Guide - Monday, March 22, 1965: Jessie has news for Lee.

Tuesday, March 23, 1965: Angie yearns for her baby.

Wednesday, March 24, 1965: Phil tells Lee that his son Chuck's condition is very poor.

--> From TV Guide - Thursday, March 25, 1965: Lee has a warning for Jessie. 

--> From TV Guide - Friday, March 26, 1965: Audrey tells Jessie a secret. 

Monday, March 29, 1965: Steve tells Lee that Chuck's pneumonia diagnosis is almost certain.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wait...Lee had a (biological) son?

I suppose he probably died. Port Charles - or rather "the unnamed city where General Hospital is set" as it was back then - had some of the worst infant and child mortality rates back in the 60s and 70s.

Speaking of Phil....

• Members

Thanks for posting that . That's the first I've heard of Lee having a child (and a wife). 

My confusion came from remembering that Jessie was involved with Lee around that time and pregnant herself. Here's what I found on Soap Central

Jessie gave birth to a daughter which she named Nancy. Lee then told Jessie that he was freeing her from the engagement. But in 1966 Nancy died from a bad heart condition.

So there were 2 dead babies within 2 years. that would have been fun to watch.

Just shows how many storylines and plot points have been lost over the years.

Depboy, do you have any other summaries from the early days?

• Members

I hinted at that above when I said that Port Charles had some of the worst infant and child mortality rates in the 60s and 70s.

I mean up until Gloria Monty took over...

• Jessie had a miscarriage in '64
  • Chuck died in '65
  • Jessie's daughter Nancy died in '66
  • Audrey had a miscarriage in '68
  • Diana's son Tracy died in '72
  • Lesley had a child that died as part of her backstory
  • Jane's daughter Joanne died in '75
  • Lesley had a miscarriage in '77
  • Diana's daughter Martha was killed in a hurricane in '77

In the end only Angie's child,Tom Hardy and Augusta McLeod's child survived.

• Members

I would add some practicality to the formula.  Jessie, Audrey, Leslie, and Diana were needed for stories within the hospital, so, if they had toddlers at home, there would need to be constant dialogue about who was caring for their kids. 

Edge of Night was similarly work-based and they also had very children in their cast.

• Members

That's true, especially in Jessie's case.

Although it should be noted that both Audrey and Diana's childcare arrangements eventually ended up playing a huge role in their storylines lol.

That said, I do think it was particularly cruel to kill off Jane's daughter just as a precursor to Jane's exit.

• Members

More episode summaries...the following I have posted before and come from TV Guides or newspaper TV guide listings.  The episode summaries that I have pick up at June 21, 1965 (episode #575) and will be an in-my-own-words synopsis.  If there is an additional existing newspaper/TV guide summary for these, I've indicated with --> From TV Guide.

Thursday, April 1, 1965: Jessie has a problem with Phil.  Friday, April 2, 1965: Mike has news for Angie. 

Monday, April 12, 1965: Phil encounters problems in his plan to win back Jessie. Tuesday, April 13, 1965: Mike learns disturbing news about Angie. Wednesday, April 14, 1965: Phil and Jessie renew a former relationship. Thursday, April 15, 1965: Angie makes a confession to Jessie. Friday, April 16, 1965: Janet is concerned about Angie.

Monday, April 19, 1965: Angie has startling news for her father. Tuesday, April 20, 1965: Jessie proves her affection for Angie. Wednesday, April 21, 1965: Audrey calls her sister. Thursday, April 22, 1965: Phil takes a stand against Dr. Lyons. Friday, April 23, 1965: Angie asks Jessie for advice. 

Monday, April 26, 1965: Phil talks with Lorne. Tuesday, April 27, 1965: Steve receives a complaint from Dr. Lyons. Wednesday, April 28, 1965: Randy has a surprise meeting with Dr. Hardy.  Thursday, April 29, 1965: Angie gives Eddie a dangerous assignment. Friday, April 30, 1965:  Dr. Brewer thinks about Lorne Hill.

No information for May 3-7, 1965 

Monday, May 10, 1965: Phil Brewer is forced to ask Jessie to believe in him. Tuesday, May 11, 1965: No info Wednesday, May 12, 1965: Steve tells Dr. Lyons his accusation about Dr. Brewer.  Thursday, May 13, 1965: Angie and Eddie seek to regain their baby.  Friday, May 14, 1965: No info

Monday, May 17, 1965: No info Tuesday, May 18, 1965: Phil and Lee narrowly miss a confrontation. Wednesday, May 19, 1965: A hospital emergency causes tension for Steve and Audrey.  Thursday, May 20, 1965: Phil makes a confession to Audrey. Friday, May 21, 1965: Jessie becomes aware of a new relationship in Phil’s life. 

Monday, May 24, 1965: Phil and Audrey discover they have a lot in common. Tuesday, May 25, 1965:  Audrey feels separated from Dr. Hardy. Wednesday, May 26, 1965: Steve tries to get important information about his new patient Carol Bradley. Thursday, May 27, 1965: Angie questions Jessie’s loyalty. 

Friday, May 28, 1965: Jessie and Steve have a difference of opinion. No information May 31 - June 4, 1965

Monday, June 7, 1965:  Nurse Jessie Brewer has second thoughts concerning Angie’s baby and Janet Fleming. Tuesday, June 8, 1965:  Will Eddie do a favor for Angie? Wednesday, June 9, 1965: Phil Brewer wonders about Jessie’s attitude toward Lee Baldwin. Thursday, June 10, 1965: Randy Washburn pays a surprise call on Audrey Hardy. Friday, June 11, 1965:  Eddie and Angie Weeks make some plans which may prove dangerous to both of them. 

Monday, June 14, 1965: No info Tuesday, June 15, 1965:  Phil Brewer is concerned by the reaction of Jessie Brewer to the events of the day before. Wednesday, June 16, 1965:  Nurse Jessie Brewer offers consolation to Lee Baldwin. Thursday, June 17, 1965:  Audrey Hardy has some advice for Phil Brewer. Friday, June 18, 1965:  Eddie and Angie Weeks set out on a tragic course of action.

In my own words (more or less):

Monday, June 21, 1965: Police interview the Flemings about the stolen baby. --> From TV Guide: Jessie Brewer receives a disturbing message from Mike Costello.

Tuesday, June 22, 1965: Angie and Eddie are enroute to Chicago, with the police on their trail. --> From TV Guide: News of Angie Weeks reaches Jessie Brewer.

Wednesday, June 23, 1965: Jessie explains to Phil that she wants to talk with Lee about the kidnapped baby. --> From TV Guide: Audrey and Steve have a disagreement.

Thursday, June 24, 1965: Lee makes a plea to Lt. Crandall. --> From TV Guide: Lee Baldwin makes a play for Angie.

Friday, June 25, 1965: Phil kisses Audrey. --> From TV Guide: Phil Brewer is shocked by his own reaction to Audrey Hardy

Monday, June 28, 1965: Lt. Crandall tries to find out what Jessie and Steve know about Angie's plan. --> From TV Guide: Jessie Brewer is not sure she can count on Phil Brewer.

Tuesday, June 29, 1965:  Lee presses Jessie for an explanation of her feelings for Phil and himself. --> From TV Guide: Audrey Hardy shows remorse. 

Wednesday, June 30, 1965:  Steve promises to hire Meg Scott Bentley, a widow and former nurse. --> From TV Guide: Angie’s troubles are magnified. 

Thursday, July 1, 1965:  Lucille tells Audrey about Meg, and how she once had a crush on Steve. --> From TV Guide: The story continues to develop as Steve Hardy hires an old flame. 

Friday, July 2, 1965:  Phil, having been drinking heavily, rapes Jessie. --> From TV Guide: The Brewer situation comes to a head. 

Edited by depboy