Soap Opera Studios in NYC

• Members

Starting in the early 80's I spent alot of time in NYC hanging outside the various soap opera studios to meet and get pictures and autographs of the actors when they left for lunch and/or at the end of the day when they left. Did anyone else ever do that? It was a great way to have some one on one time with the actors.

Some of the studios I remember hanging outside:

GL - West 26th St (Martha Stewart now tapes there) then later East 44th Street and finally at the CBS Broadcast Center on West 57th

ATWT - East 76th St, then they moved to West 57th and then to Brooklyn in 2000

AW - always at the same studio in Brooklyn

Texas - shared the studio with AW

Ryan's Hope - West 53rd Street, then they moved to West 66th

Loving on West 66th St

The Doctors at 30 Rock at NBC

OLTL - West 66th

AMC - 101 West 67th, then they moved to 66th St after Ryan's Hope was cancelled

Search for Tomorrow - West 81st St, then to East 44th

Edge of Night - East 44th St

The studios that I did get inside to see because I became friends with people are the GL studio when they were on West 26th, the ATWT studio on East 76th and the OLTL studio at 56 West 66th. It was fascinating to see.

Lots of good memories meeting so many actors. With only OLTL still in NYC, I'll definitely go to their studio on the last day that they tape their final ABC broadcast.

Hopefully others can share their stories of being 'groupies' outside the studios.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only time I've even walked past where a soap opera was currently taping was OLTL's former studio(s) on West 66th Street. By the way, it was also where I learned that Jared would be killed off, thanks to a convo between John Brotherton, Brian Kerwin and the guy who played Moe.

• Members

Thank you for bringing up this great topic.

When it came to NY soaps, I always wondered why AW chose to film in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan. I'm assuming that this was NBC's--rather than P&G's--decision, given that NBC built that Brooklyn studio prior to its one in Burbank. (However, given that NBC had its big studio in Brooklyn, why then did that network choose to film The Doctors in Manhattan?)

It was mentioned that Texas shared the same studio as AW. Did the same hold true for Somerset and Lovers & Friends/For Richer, For Poorer?

• Members

I spent last semester in NYC. I had hoped to get an internship at OLTL, but it didn't pan out. (I think I came across as too much of a fanboy in the intervew).

Anyway, I would walk by the OLTL studio all the time. (It was way out of my way, lol, but I didn't care). I never had the courage to actually stand outside and wait for anybody, and the only people I ever saw were Lenny Platt (Nate) and Brittany Underwood (Langston), but it was lots of fun, just getting to be that close to "Llanview." I also fell in love with the East Side.

Archived